The huge difference is, one group believes in AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming) as a religionthat man can, and is, controlling the warming of earth with excess CO2. Another group believes in Natural Cyclesthat man is totally dependent on the myriads of astrophysical cycles that are engineered to occur naturally.
One group does not consider themselves omnipotent enough to control a planets climate, are cognizant of the hundreds of cyclical changes the earth goes through.
Back in 950 AD, Eric Thorvalssen (better known as Eric the Red) was born a Viking, in Norway. After exile, he convinced many to visit his personal islandaccurately called Greenland. For the next 300 years, Greenland became a whaling, fishing, and farming community coinciding with the MWP (Medieval Warming Period). But now, numerous sites in Greenland have been uncovered, suggesting temperatures were as much as 7oF warmer than today (F. Donald Logan/ The Vikings In History). Today most of Greenland is not green, and has permanently frozen soil and ice.
A major factor effecting earths climate is earth-sun geometry. Milutin Milankovitch gets most of the credit for relating the Milankovitch cycles to ice ages and to climate. Its three cycles: 1) Precession (earth rotates on its polar axis, and wobbles [26,000 years]); 2) Eccentricity (when earth’s orbit around the sun[100,000 years] is at its maximum distance(9%), the difference in solar energy received by earth is (-20%)); and 3) Axial Tilt/Obliquity [41,000 years], all provide variations in solar radiation received.
Milankovitch cycles exert their greatest influence when the troughs and peaks of all three cycles coincide with each other. But with sunspot activity, everything gets expanded.
With a cycle time of 2241 yrs, the Landsheidt cycle resulted in earth’s cooling in 1400 AD; with a cycle time of 208 yrs, the Suess cycle cooled in 1898 AD; with cycle time of 232 yrs, a conglomeration of several cycles cooled the earth in 1922 AD; and with a cycle time of 88 years, the Gleissburg cycle cooled in 1986 AD.
Solar output is a major factor affecting earths climate. Other climate changers are interstellar dust, atmospheric chemistry, surface/cloud reflectivity, and atmosphere/ocean heat exchange. To a smaller extent El Nino, La Nina, continental drift, volcanic eruptions, and mountain-building also affect climate.
Known cycles always exist: TSI (Total Solar Irradiance), PDO (Pacific Decadal Oscillation), and AMO (Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation). More importantly, we see sunspot variation ranging from the Schwabe Cycle[11 yrs], Hale[~22 years], Gleissburg[70-100 yrs], Suess[~210 yrs], Halstatt and Landsheidt[~2300 years], and Xapsos[~6000 yrs].
Some of the more famous climate changes were: the Damon Minima (1880-1930 AD), temperature 0.5 oC lower [Jones, 1988]; the Dalton Minima (1795-1825 AD), “Year Without Summer (1813 AD); the Maunder Minima (1650-1710 AD), resulted in the Little Ice Age, global temperature 1-2 oC lower; the Sporer Minima (1420-1540 AD), resulted in Second Little Ice Age; and the Wolf Minima (1280-1340 AD), resulted in The Great Drought.
The Maunder Minimum is a prime example of solar cycles seriously affecting earths climate. Almost no sunspots were seen from 1645 to 1715. During this time, regional climates had episodes of unnaturally cold weather.
Based on evidence from sunspot counts, there have been 18 periods of sunspot minima in the last 8,000 years. Studies indicate the sun currently spends up to a quarter of its time in these minima. The lack of sunspots means elevated cosmic rays, which means additional cloud formation, resulting in possible reflection of 20% of the sun’s rays, therefore earth cooling.
However, the Solar Variation in emissions of high energy X-rays and UV radiation is far more dramatic over the course of a sunspot cycle. UV emissions increase by factors of 2-10, while some X-ray emissions increase over a hundred-fold with differences in sunspot activity.
Gassers continually point out CO2 is THE culprit for AGW. But its known CO2 was much higher in the past. There was an explosion of life forms in the Cambrian Period when CO2 levels were 18x higher than today, and in the Jurassic period (when dinosaurs roamed) CO2 levels were as much as 9x higher.
So many AGW believers point to Michael Manns debunked Hockey Stick temperature graph (IPCC Technical Summary 2001, p 29). Mann included temperatures from major cities that had huge artificially-induced upward swings due to heat-trapping influences of concrete, asphalt, and steel (Urban Heat Island effect). Somehow, Mann excluded highly accurate temperatures taken by satellites.
When accurate data was collected, only a miniscule warming was present since 1979. McIntire & McKitrick (Corrections to the Mann [The M&M Critique update]) noticed a variety of errors disintegrating Manns blade on the hockey stick. UN IPCC scientist Eduardo Zorita publicly declared Climategate colleagues Michael Mann and Phil Jones “should be barred from the IPCC process…They are not credible anymore.”
More and more scientists are speaking out about AGW [For the Full Report in PDF Form, please click here.] Back in 8/09, over 700 scientists dissented with the UN on AGW. Now, over 1,000 dissenting scientists are almost 20 times the number of UN scientists (52) who authored the media-hyped IPCC 2007 Summary for Policymakers.
The Science and Public Policy Institute (SPPI) brings all the correct data together in a monthly report (For the Full Report in PDF Form, please click here.) As in The Perfect Storm, there were times in history (cited) when several of the above cycles perfectly aligned, and caused highly noticeable climate changes.
Estimating greenhouse gases affecting climate pushes a probabilities estimator close to zero. Of course, one can bring in another unseen variable that will raise the likelihood of estimation to almost one. In other words, the estimator would call that surety.
We call that variable——GOD.
Kevin Roeten can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.Tweet
Latest posts by Kevin Roeten (see all)
- Occupy Movement in Shambles - January 11, 2012
- Obama Welcomes You to a Death Camp for Down Syndrome - December 13, 2011
- Jupiter Gives a Prelude to Global Warming - November 28, 2011
- If Obamas Re-elected, Welcome to The United States Socialist Republic - November 5, 2011
- Komen, Abortion, Contraceptives: All Mixed for Breast Cancer - October 25, 2011
- Obama Ignores Info About US Oil for 90 Years - October 1, 2011
- Can World Government be Obama's End Goal? - September 20, 2011
- Why Obama's Love Affair with Planned Parenthood? - September 20, 2011
- Belief that Women are Inferior IS Inferior - September 8, 2011
- A Fading Comet, or a Rogue Dwarf Star - August 26, 2011
- Are Blacks Oblivious to Their Obvious Problem? - August 16, 2011
- Scarier than a “Death Panel”? Being 65. - August 6, 2011
- Clandestine Cause for Global Warming - July 28, 2011
- Media Falsifies Clergy Sex Abuse - July 14, 2011
- The Art of Killing Young Life - June 13, 2011
- Suspected Ozone Loss Never Involved CFC's - May 23, 2011
- Stopping Falling Population Must Occur - May 8, 2011
- Line Between Global Warming Gassers and Cyclic Naturalists - April 19, 2011
- Anti-Population Zealots Condemning Us to Extinction - April 3, 2011
- Out-of-the-Box Thinking for an Out-of-Control Budget - March 13, 2011
- Marriage to Your Dog? - February 24, 2011
- A President of Scorn, or a President with Cajones? - February 17, 2011
- Political Leanings from Good Morning America - February 8, 2011
- China Scenario Overwhelms US in Taiwan Strait - January 20, 2011
- The Pill Can Result In Abortion - January 6, 2011
- AGW Believers Misunderstand a Closed System - December 8, 2010
- The Atrocity of Another Black/White Civil War - November 27, 2010
- PEW Religion Survey Wrong - November 18, 2010
- Atheists Beware–A Bona Fide Reason for God - November 6, 2010
- It Seems Obama had a Reason for Omitting Creator - October 26, 2010
- UN Ripe for US Budget Cutting - October 19, 2010
- Hope Fading that radical/Islamist Factions keep Separate - September 16, 2010
- Does pain dictate when a Preborn Child is Alive? - September 4, 2010
- Race does NOT need to be Discussed - August 28, 2010
- Terrorist Weapon of Electromagnetic Pulse Shunned by Administration - August 19, 2010
- Abortion Options: Limit Lifetime, Restrict your Childbearing, and/or Suffer - August 7, 2010
- Windmills Literally Blowing in the Wind - July 31, 2010
- The Much Maligned game of Soccer - July 12, 2010
- Oil Spill in Gulf could be Positive after All - June 17, 2010
- Science of Gynecology Dictates No Abortions - June 11, 2010
- NAACP Changed Priorities From Politics to Party - May 27, 2010
- Silver Lining of Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill - May 8, 2010
- The Truth on Church Sex Abuse - April 28, 2010
- Government Intervention has Already been Tried - April 20, 2010
- Some Won’t Believe How Dangerous Marijuana Can Be - April 20, 2010
- “No Offshore Drilling”–Administration up to Something? - March 27, 2010
- Obama Believes Pro-Life Democrats Fodder for Gifts - March 14, 2010
- One Must Cross the Line with Human Life - February 28, 2010
- Asteroid Coming to a Location Too Close to You - February 14, 2010
- Tebow Brings Out the Best in Us - February 9, 2010
- Oil Shortage ‘Claim’ Tip of the Iceberg - January 29, 2010
- Marijuana Much Riskier Than Alcohol - January 18, 2010
- Some Miracles are Easy to Believe - January 7, 2010
- Genocide Happening with Democrat Vote - December 25, 2009
- Acts Worse Than Racism? Only a Few… - December 18, 2009
- Population Control for Non-Thinkers - December 1, 2009
- DDT: The Silent Killer…Only When It Was Gone - November 19, 2009
- Excommunication by the Catholic Church - October 27, 2009
- The Pill Responsible for the Death of Humanity? - October 13, 2009
- New Definition of Terrorism Means More Death - October 1, 2009
- CO2 Turns Out To Be a Savior - September 24, 2009
- Answer for a Missile-Free World - August 27, 2009
- Non-Christians in a Christian Nation - August 20, 2009
- Pedophilia Only a Catholic Sin? - August 14, 2009
- Inquisitions Defend Against Radical Islam - August 8, 2009
- Obama Health Care Equals Euthanasia - August 8, 2009
- Heisman Winner Makes Reporters Speechless - July 31, 2009
- The Catholic Next to You Might Not Be Real - July 23, 2009
- Water Boarding Analogy Forgotten - July 16, 2009
- Jewish Vote Only a Microcosm of Reality - June 19, 2009
- Answer to North Korea’s Missile Test - June 4, 2009
- Misinterpreting the Christian Response - May 23, 2009
- The Pope was Right About Condoms - May 19, 2009
- Mission Accomplished Sign has Meaning - May 10, 2009
- Water Boarding not Torture by a Long Shot - May 8, 2009
- Regulations Mistakenly Hogtie Trichloroethylene - May 6, 2009
- Black Spot of the Crusades Actually Very Bright - April 21, 2009
- Obama Did Not Inherit Anything From Bush - April 10, 2009
- Promiscuous Sex is Normal, Right? - March 31, 2009
- It’s Time to Worry About Global COOLING - March 26, 2009
- People Like This Still Exist? - March 21, 2009
- Old Myths Die Hard–Especially Overpopulation - March 7, 2009
- Intelligent Design Not Difficult to Grasp - March 4, 2009
- Terrorism–More Than Meets the Eye - March 2, 2009
- Race the Real Reason for Obama Win - February 27, 2009