One Woman's Quest for a free market.
Karen Emery bought her first 1 oz coin of silver in New Hampshire just last year. The token, which cost $16.00, made an enormous difference in the life of one woman, opening the way for people in the Delaware Valley area of Pennsylvania, to see what it is like to use money which will hold its value.
Karen was attending the Free State's Liberty Forum at the Crown Plaza in Nashua, NH, when she picked up a silver token at an after hours party. It was her birthday, March 5, 2009, and she had been thinking about how good it would be if, as once was the case, money had weight and substance.
While being interviewed for this article Karen mentioned how it felt as she held it, smooth, heavy, and gleaming. Along with the substance the token had, she thought, integrity. She still carries it with her as a reminder.
Karen had learned about Free State's Liberty Forum on Free Talk Live, for two years before she finally made it to the event. Free Talk Live, is Karen said, “The radio that you control.” The non-structured radio station has become a voice for a growing on the air community.She listened to their program once and was hooked. There is, Karen says, nothing like the open mike with Ian Freeman and Mark Edge.
Karen's first token came from Bullion Direct. Within a few weeks she had signed up as a representative for American Open Currency Standard, or AOCS. Every so often over the ensuing weeks she would take out the coin and hold it in her hand again.
While a representative for American Open Currency Standard, Karen had time to think about what was important. Selling silver at so far over what it was worth as metal, she realized could never result in people using silver tokens for barter in their day to day lives. She wanted that experience, using metal coins, a thing which itself had value, when she bought her gas and groceries.
So Karen Emery decided to start DelValley Silver. Her new company would not offer many different tokens, just one to begin with. The token had to be inexpensive enough so people would use it. In her mind Karen saw people putting them on the counter and showing them to their children. In this way children could understand what money once was – and experience it again.
That decision make, it was all a matter of details. Karen found a mint to produce the rounds. Golden State Mint is in California. She then determined the image the token would carry, filed papers with the state, which reminded her again, why she wanted the integrity she felt in silver rounds.
The first token carried a map of Pennsylvania, including Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey for good measure. The second suggests the Amish traditions of her state.
Karen had begun talking to local merchants in May for AOCS. Now, in August, she was talking to them about a different proposition. Since there was no fee to sign up entry costs were low, an important consideration in an already struggling economy. Karen has seven merchants signed up. The merchants see barter in silver in various ways but among their motivations is the knowledge hard metal will come into their hands. Interest is building, she says, which is reflected from her merchants.
AmeriKick Martial Arts, Liberty Revolution Network, Twins Auto Repair Inc., Advise Laboratories, MetaSense Inc., Street Road Lukoil, and Vermilion Hills Chiropractic, a range of businesses, are now accepting the tokens and negotiations are going on with the local Amish community. To serve the Amish community Karen will be adding a $6.00 token to her inventory.
The tokens now offered include a one ounce round, showing the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and Delaware, for $18.64, purchased in lots, and a ounce token, carrying the image of an Amish family in their carriage for $9.77.
At a time when America's dollar is teetering on the edge of disaster the solid value of silver is raising increasing interest across the country. Barter and script systems are springing up in places where they were previously unknown at unprecedented rates. A website, Move Your Money, is now urging Americans to move their money out of banks, such as Citibank, which are now placing severe limits on withdrawals from accounts. The Move Your Money site offers links so users can ascertain the rating of their own bank and find one which is higher.
All the money they move will still be Federal Reserve Notes. Karen would like ordinary people to have money with integrity.
To use silver rounds, tokens, for commerce the price of the silver must be near to that paid for the metal itself. The 'spot' price of the metal changes constantly, fluctuating against other ways to hold value, commodities, and against existing currencies.
In the Delaware Valley local people who carry the tokens are learning by doing. The DelValley site provides a short tutorial on reasons barter and hard metal have continued to have a place in the market, explaining clearly and simply how their system works.
For those in the Freedom Movement it is a leaflet sprung to life or a tutorial by Murray Rothbard made flesh. In the Delaware Valley of Pennsylvania you can touch theory.
This year Karen Emery will be attending the Free State Project's Freedom Forum, which will again take place in Nashua at the Crown Plaza. But this time she will not be just attending. She will be selling her own rounds and discussing with those interested how they can merge their activism with business, providing one of the essentials needed to bridge the meltdown from corporate greed to a new economy in their own communities.Tweet
Latest posts by Melinda Pillsbury-Foster (see all)
- Saddam Hussein and 9/11 – The unexpected connection - September 1, 2014
- Will the real Conservative Please Stand? - May 3, 2014
- Why the Koch Brothers and Koch Industries are at the top of our list - April 7, 2014
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and General Robert E. Lee – A Memorial to Courage - January 17, 2014
- The Foreclosure Meltdown was Planned – A Whistle blower Speaks Out - November 21, 2013
- Back to the Future of Commerce in Pennslvania - March 7, 2010
- What Happened When Al Went Out for Beer - March 7, 2010
- They See You As Prey - January 22, 2010
- Revolution and inertia continues in Sacramento - May 1, 2009
- April’s Future – Renewing America - February 26, 2009
- Stealing Freedom – The John Fund Back Story - January 27, 2009
- Blighted Christmas - December 16, 2008
- Should Angela Keaton be Burned Alive for Witch Craft? - December 6, 2008
- Your Wishes Can Change the World - November 26, 2008
- Are Your Ready for Peace, Prosperity, and Good Will? - November 8, 2008
- Bailing out the Banks, James Dean, and Freedom. - October 1, 2008
- Protect yourself, your family and America - September 25, 2008
- Armageddon or Freedom.Choose - September 23, 2008
- September 11th, Ron Paul, Bob Barr and James Dean - September 11, 2008
- Mark Slocum nominates John McCain - September 2, 2008
- Americans, the Common Law, and Freedom – What you need to know. - August 21, 2008
- Arthur C. Pillsbury – You See the World Through His Eyes - August 8, 2008
- Start now to restore the Constitution in your county - August 5, 2008
- Melt Down the FED and do it NOW. - July 4, 2008
- If You Would Be Free – Start Your Common Law Court - July 4, 2008
- The Business of Child Stealing in Florida - June 28, 2008
- Our Constitution – The Open Source for Freedom - June 19, 2008
- Tin Hats, Truth, and Being Prepared for what will come. - June 1, 2008
- You’re Not Paranoid – The IRS is out to get you. - May 12, 2008
- A Happy Mother’s Day Greeting from Social Services - May 11, 2008
- Relight the Flame of Freedom in Denver– End WAR - May 8, 2008
- Ron Paul and Victory in November with Mary Ruwart - April 29, 2008
- Growing Carrots for Freedom and for America - April 19, 2008
- Robert Poole and Privatization – Enemies of Freedom - April 14, 2008
- Why You ShouldNominate Mary Ruwart - April 9, 2008
- Mark Lerner is going to stop the Real ID.Now. - March 23, 2008
- Earth Day No. 38 – The Summer of Love, Two. - March 18, 2008
- The Ron Paul Revolution Goes Home to America - March 8, 2008
- Freedom Warriors continue the Battle for the Constitution and the Soul of America - February 13, 2008
- Lessons on the Road to Liberty - February 6, 2008
- Why America Needs Coalition – Clean Elections and Freedom - February 2, 2008
- What Future Generations Will Say About Ron Paul - January 26, 2008
- Taking Back America – The Truth and New Hampshire - January 11, 2008
- The Milford Choice - January 2, 2008
- The Battle of Milford, The Second American Revolution - December 31, 2007
- The Ron Paul Legacy of Freedom:How people will govern themselves. - December 27, 2007
- Will the Light go on for Joseph Farah? Please God, we need a miracle ! - December 27, 2007
- The Glories of Christmas; Gifts Past and Yet-To-Be - December 23, 2007
- Is this the Ron Paul we have known and admired for thirty years? - December 14, 2007
- Steps to Revolution – Effective Coalition, Cooperation, Communication, Consensus. - December 12, 2007
- Declaration of War:Take BAck America - November 29, 2007
- The Registration Bomb – Make Ron President - November 27, 2007
- Hillary, Ron Paul, and the Coming End to Fascism. - November 24, 2007
- Exodus Secrets can Save America - October 19, 2007
- Operation Vigilant Shield- The Fascists move for more control - October 16, 2007
- The Enemy Within:Cato’s Covert Agenda - October 16, 2007
- America’s Nuremberg Trials:Oath Violators take note. - October 4, 2007
- From Tiny Tear to an end of Tyranny - October 4, 2007