Many Americans are all too ready to turn in their liberties in exchange for empty promises of security from the government. This liberty, by the way, is the same liberty that hundreds of thousands of men died to save. And yet, we are more than ready to just give it away to any would-be dictator that is willing to take it from us. Whether that dictator is George W. Bush or Barack Hussein Obama is irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, they are different heads of the same Hydra, which is totalitarianism masquerading as mere security from terrorism.
Terrorism, while dangerous, isn't dangerous enough to necesitate a police state, which is what is rapidly being established. Look at how dramatically our country has changed since September 11, 2001. We have an entirely-new cabinet level government agency – the Department of Homeland Security, which, by all accounts, is simply a money-guzzling bureaucracy that in reality serves no real purpose. What job does DHS do that wasn't already being done by the myriad of other alphabet soup government agencies (FBI, ATF, CIA, NSA, etc.)?
We also now have the infamous USA PATRIOT Act (which actually is a very long acronym, for those of you who don't already know), which, although designed as a fairly temporary measure, now seems to be permanent. While I personally believe that the PATRIOT Act isn't as bad as many say it is, I'm certainly not a proponent nor a fan of it. It, like DHS, is just another way for the federal government to expand it's power.
While September 11th was an extraordinary event that called for increased vigilance on the homefront, that doesn't mean that we have to become a paranoid nation. 9/11 happened, but that doesn't mean that we can militarize our entire society for the next thousand years just so that it becomes harder for terrorists to hit us. And besides, that isn't even true, because we are no safer now than we were before 9/11. People think that we are, but are we really? The sad truth is that if these people have such a fanatical hatred for the United States, they will find a way to hit us, no matter what we do. There is no way to be 100% safe from terrorism, so there is no need to confiscate liberties from the people.
We need to repeal the USA PATRIOT Act, for it has served it's purposes. Remember, it never was meant to be a permanent measure. We also need to get rid of DHS and streamline the other agencies. Cutting federal funding to the FBI and CIA will force them to actually get work done. They have so much money nowadays that they have lost their frugality and have become careless with our money. If we force them to be frugal, they will make sure that they get the most bang for their buck (they don't really have any other choice, unless they want to set up a bake sale to fund themselves).
One of the main reasons we never stopped 9/11 from taking place in the first place (if you believe the official story of 9/11; there are too many holes in the official explanation for me to believe it) is because the different security agencies refused to work together. Instead, they worked by themselves, thus causing the deaths of 3,000 innocent men, women, and children. If we streamlined the federal security agencies, this sort of thing wouldn't happen.
We need to return to the Constitution and the rule of law. 9/11 scared a lot of people and made them more likely to support things like DHS and the massive expansion of federal power that took place in the wake of the terror attacks. We must demand that the government act responsibly and not take advantage of terror attacks by using them as a pretext to create massive bureaucracies and pass laws that restrict civil liberties.Tweet
Latest posts by Alexander Massa (see all)
- An Open Letter to the American People - October 12, 2010
- The Folly of Shadow Wars & Police Actions - October 7, 2010
- Patriotic Planting - September 30, 2010
- Restoring the Senate: Repealing Direct Election - September 28, 2010
- The Jingling Jingoes - June 27, 2010
- Obama's Online Power Play - June 26, 2010
- The Siren Song of Marxism - January 5, 2010
- Sports: The Opiate of the Masses - December 24, 2009
- The Coming Collapse of American Society - December 11, 2009
- America Overrun: The Illegal Invasion of the United States - December 5, 2009
- Slaying the Red Dragon - November 25, 2009
- Mass Ignorance & The Death of the Republic - November 18, 2009
- Trading Liberty For Security - November 16, 2009
- In Defense of the Confederacy - November 11, 2009
- Total War Against the Taliban - November 10, 2009
- The Weaponization of Language - November 9, 2009
- The Threat of Entangling Alliances - November 8, 2009
- Libertarianism & Abortion - November 5, 2009
- Ignorance & Apathy – Twin Threats to Liberty - November 5, 2009
- 2012 Election: Which Candidate Is Best? - November 2, 2009
- Doug Hoffman: The Clear Choice for Conservatives - November 2, 2009
- Free Markets & Free People - November 2, 2009