Shockingly, AP breaks out of their typical liberal mold and reports Insurance companies shed light on extent of sex abuse in Protestant churches, that sexual abuse of minors has been rampant. But in their statement, they indirectly say members of the Catholic Church are not the majority abusers.
AP discusses the raw numbers from three companies that insure the majority of protestant churches in America (Church Mutual, Guide One, and Brotherhood Mutual), and typically receive 260 reports/yr of people under 18 being sexually abused. Compare that with ~228 credible accusations/yr against Catholic clerics since 1950 (documented abuse records).
Together with that information, it is known that the Catholic Church greatly outnumbers any specific Protestant denomination, and the data for Protestant churches is available only for the last seven years. Ever since the first sexual abuse cases had been reported, Catholics have had requirements: 1) police background check done on all volunteers–including priests, 2) a second person be present at all religious functions, and 3) all personnel involved with minors must take routine checks with “Protecting God's Children”.
Without a doubt, sexual abuse of a minor is one of the most despicable crimes and sins that man can perpetrate. But predators seem to thrive in an atmosphere where the base congregation is one of the most trusted organizations that exist.
Philip Jenkins, in his 1996 book Pedophiles and Priests, [[link edited for length]], looked at the problem objectively and dispassionately. Jenkins (who is not Catholic) found that true pedophilia is extremely rare, and perhaps more common among Protestant clergy, and is even more common among married laymen.
He found that in most sexual abuse cases (under the age of consent), the behavior is actually a variety of homosexuality. This sexual attraction with very young men that combine the charm of boyishness with sexual maturity is actually called ephebophilia. Pedophilia is really a psychiatric term meaning sexual interest in children below the age of puberty.
Even a book review by William A. Donahue [Review: Pedophiles and Priests] reveals how accurate Jenkins is in his observations over the years. Deal Hudson makes 10 valid points about priestly pedophilia [link edited for length] no one should overlook.
True pedophilia (Leon Podles/ Clergy Sexual Misconduct: Just a Catholic Problem?) occurs most often within families. Celibacy removes most Catholic priests from those types of temptations, and clergy in churches that do not require celibacy have the same (if not worse) problems.
But it has been a media target for any child abuse. More so because many enjoy 'shooting down' something they believe to be “holier than thou”. But the Episcopal Church has a comparable problem, and some of the worst abuse cases have been in fundamentalist and Pentecostal churches [[link edited for length]].
Up until the AP report, comprehensive studies were only done on the Catholic Church. The rate for school teachers, residential home-counselors, social workers, or even scoutmasters, never existed because they had no method of accounting for sexual abuse. But the recent AP investigation found more than 2,500 cases over five years in which educators were punished for actions from bizarre to sadistic. (Jacoby/Townhall) rightly states the same sort of outcry that came with Catholic sexual abuse has not existed with public school teachers.
It seems obvious that the legit but skewed condemnation of the Catholic Church is likely coming from the devil, himself. It's only logical his first and sometimes only, victim would be the church with the correct answers.
The problem of sexual abuse seems much bigger than the public will admit. And abuse from church organizations seems to be the minority. Reported sexual abuse seems only the tip of the iceberg. As despicable as Catholic abuse is, it is no where near just a Catholic problem. And finally, it seems as though the public has the wrong impression of who's responsible for accusations of ephebophilia.
And they don't seem to be able to know the differences in phobias, either.
———————————————————————————————————————-Kevin Roeten can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.Tweet
Latest posts by Kevin Roeten (see all)
- Occupy Movement in Shambles - January 11, 2012
- Obama Welcomes You to a Death Camp for Down Syndrome - December 13, 2011
- Jupiter Gives a Prelude to Global Warming - November 28, 2011
- If Obamas Re-elected, Welcome to The United States Socialist Republic - November 5, 2011
- Komen, Abortion, Contraceptives: All Mixed for Breast Cancer - October 25, 2011
- Obama Ignores Info About US Oil for 90 Years - October 1, 2011
- Can World Government be Obama's End Goal? - September 20, 2011
- Why Obama's Love Affair with Planned Parenthood? - September 20, 2011
- Belief that Women are Inferior IS Inferior - September 8, 2011
- A Fading Comet, or a Rogue Dwarf Star - August 26, 2011
- Are Blacks Oblivious to Their Obvious Problem? - August 16, 2011
- Scarier than a “Death Panel”? Being 65. - August 6, 2011
- Clandestine Cause for Global Warming - July 28, 2011
- Media Falsifies Clergy Sex Abuse - July 14, 2011
- The Art of Killing Young Life - June 13, 2011
- Suspected Ozone Loss Never Involved CFC's - May 23, 2011
- Stopping Falling Population Must Occur - May 8, 2011
- Line Between Global Warming Gassers and Cyclic Naturalists - April 19, 2011
- Anti-Population Zealots Condemning Us to Extinction - April 3, 2011
- Out-of-the-Box Thinking for an Out-of-Control Budget - March 13, 2011
- Marriage to Your Dog? - February 24, 2011
- A President of Scorn, or a President with Cajones? - February 17, 2011
- Political Leanings from Good Morning America - February 8, 2011
- China Scenario Overwhelms US in Taiwan Strait - January 20, 2011
- The Pill Can Result In Abortion - January 6, 2011
- AGW Believers Misunderstand a Closed System - December 8, 2010
- The Atrocity of Another Black/White Civil War - November 27, 2010
- PEW Religion Survey Wrong - November 18, 2010
- Atheists Beware–A Bona Fide Reason for God - November 6, 2010
- It Seems Obama had a Reason for Omitting Creator - October 26, 2010
- UN Ripe for US Budget Cutting - October 19, 2010
- Hope Fading that radical/Islamist Factions keep Separate - September 16, 2010
- Does pain dictate when a Preborn Child is Alive? - September 4, 2010
- Race does NOT need to be Discussed - August 28, 2010
- Terrorist Weapon of Electromagnetic Pulse Shunned by Administration - August 19, 2010
- Abortion Options: Limit Lifetime, Restrict your Childbearing, and/or Suffer - August 7, 2010
- Windmills Literally Blowing in the Wind - July 31, 2010
- The Much Maligned game of Soccer - July 12, 2010
- Oil Spill in Gulf could be Positive after All - June 17, 2010
- Science of Gynecology Dictates No Abortions - June 11, 2010
- NAACP Changed Priorities From Politics to Party - May 27, 2010
- Silver Lining of Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill - May 8, 2010
- The Truth on Church Sex Abuse - April 28, 2010
- Government Intervention has Already been Tried - April 20, 2010
- Some Won’t Believe How Dangerous Marijuana Can Be - April 20, 2010
- “No Offshore Drilling”–Administration up to Something? - March 27, 2010
- Obama Believes Pro-Life Democrats Fodder for Gifts - March 14, 2010
- One Must Cross the Line with Human Life - February 28, 2010
- Asteroid Coming to a Location Too Close to You - February 14, 2010
- Tebow Brings Out the Best in Us - February 9, 2010
- Oil Shortage ‘Claim’ Tip of the Iceberg - January 29, 2010
- Marijuana Much Riskier Than Alcohol - January 18, 2010
- Some Miracles are Easy to Believe - January 7, 2010
- Genocide Happening with Democrat Vote - December 25, 2009
- Acts Worse Than Racism? Only a Few… - December 18, 2009
- Population Control for Non-Thinkers - December 1, 2009
- DDT: The Silent Killer…Only When It Was Gone - November 19, 2009
- Excommunication by the Catholic Church - October 27, 2009
- The Pill Responsible for the Death of Humanity? - October 13, 2009
- New Definition of Terrorism Means More Death - October 1, 2009
- CO2 Turns Out To Be a Savior - September 24, 2009
- Answer for a Missile-Free World - August 27, 2009
- Non-Christians in a Christian Nation - August 20, 2009
- Pedophilia Only a Catholic Sin? - August 14, 2009
- Inquisitions Defend Against Radical Islam - August 8, 2009
- Obama Health Care Equals Euthanasia - August 8, 2009
- Heisman Winner Makes Reporters Speechless - July 31, 2009
- The Catholic Next to You Might Not Be Real - July 23, 2009
- Water Boarding Analogy Forgotten - July 16, 2009
- Jewish Vote Only a Microcosm of Reality - June 19, 2009
- Answer to North Korea’s Missile Test - June 4, 2009
- Misinterpreting the Christian Response - May 23, 2009
- The Pope was Right About Condoms - May 19, 2009
- Mission Accomplished Sign has Meaning - May 10, 2009
- Water Boarding not Torture by a Long Shot - May 8, 2009
- Regulations Mistakenly Hogtie Trichloroethylene - May 6, 2009
- Black Spot of the Crusades Actually Very Bright - April 21, 2009
- Obama Did Not Inherit Anything From Bush - April 10, 2009
- Promiscuous Sex is Normal, Right? - March 31, 2009
- It’s Time to Worry About Global COOLING - March 26, 2009
- People Like This Still Exist? - March 21, 2009
- Old Myths Die Hard–Especially Overpopulation - March 7, 2009
- Intelligent Design Not Difficult to Grasp - March 4, 2009
- Terrorism–More Than Meets the Eye - March 2, 2009
- Race the Real Reason for Obama Win - February 27, 2009