I am outraged at the way Congress is acting at Governor Blagojevich's appointment of Roland Burris to fill Barack Obama's Senate seat. Roland Burris is not only the most qualified for the job but also the best choice for the job.
For those of you who have never heard of the man, here is a quick recap of his career:
First African American to serve as a National Bank Examiner for the US Treasury.
Director of the Department of Central Management Services in Illinois under Governor Dan Walker.
National Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer for Operation PUSH.
State Comptroller for the state of Illinois.
Attorney General of the state of Illinois.
A prominent Attorney and Consultant in Illinois.
Roland Burris is far more qualified to be a US Senator then Barack Obama ever was. His experience in financial and budgetery matters make him the most logical candidate in our time of economic hardship. This is perhaps the most responsible choice any Governor has ever made. Mr. Burris even ran against Blagojevich in the 2002 gubernatorial primary. This clearly a choice that shows real leadership in a time America needs leadership. Burris has even said that he will not seek election to the seat in 2010, he only wishes to fulfill the remnant of Obama's Senate term.
Yet, Harry Reid has said that he will refuse to seat Senator Burris even though the US Supreme Court ruling in Powell vs McCormack suggests the Senate may not be able to prevent Burris from being seated. Not only that, Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White said that he would not certify the selection. This shows the real leadership abilities of the Democratic Party, they have none. If Obama wants to show leadership, he should be calling on all Democrats to respect Blagojevich's selection and let him sit in the Senate for the 2 years of that term. Our economy is swirling down the toilet, many are losing their jobs, and we are in a bitter war; these crises are more important then who will replace Obama in the Senate.
Let Roland Burris serve as a US Senator, NOW!!!
To learn more about Roland Burris, here are some links:
[link edited for length]Tweet
Latest posts by Joe W. (see all)
- Obama-mania is a mental disorder - March 5, 2009
- Economic Miracle - March 4, 2009
- Obama is Destroying America - March 3, 2009
- Obama: the Black Forrest Gump - January 7, 2009
- Change We Can Believe, My Ass!!! - January 4, 2009
- Draft John Roberts for President!!!! - January 1, 2009
- New Years Message:Keep Roland Burris IN!!! - December 31, 2008
- New Years Message:The Rebirth of Greatness - December 29, 2008
- New Years Message:The Failed State - December 28, 2008
- What about Ford? - December 24, 2008
- Healthcare Crisis - December 23, 2008
- What should Blagojevich do? - December 20, 2008
- Obama: what the F***!!! - December 19, 2008
- WhyCaroline Kennedy?!?!? - December 19, 2008
- They Were Right!!! - December 17, 2008
- Economic Nationalism - December 14, 2008
- What Went Wrong - December 12, 2008
- Libertarianism is DEAD - December 7, 2008
- Why Sarah Palin? - December 5, 2008
- Shelia Bair is Right - December 5, 2008
- Obama: what is he smoking? - December 4, 2008
- Toilet Economy - December 4, 2008