Suicide Bombers are typically not American; Mall Shooters usually are.
Suicide Bombers do not typically come from public schools; Mall Shooters do.
Suicide Bombers do not typically come from broken homes; Mall Shooters do.
Suicide Bombers inspire intense investigation and speculation about their religious and moral beliefs and the culture that instill those in them; I've not noticed a single mention of religious or moral beliefs of a single Mall Shooter.
Suicide Bombers do not have to select a specific person as a target; Mall Shooters do.
Suicide Bombers rarely get their name in the news; Mall Shooters always do.
Suicide Bombers aren't likely to be taking a SSRI drug; Mall Shooters are.
Is there a conspiracy afoot? Could the drug companies and the public schools and the social workers and therapists and the news media all be in cahoots to create a steady stream of Mall Shooters? Yep, they could be. I don't think that is likely though.
I view the creation of the Mall Shooter as an “unintended consequence” of our choices as a society about what kind of culture we have. This is a result of a multitude of individual human actions, not directed behavior or collusion.
It doesn't take an act of congress or any other knee-jerk reactionary big government intrusion into the workings of civilization to change the situation. It takes individuals, one-by-one, deciding to change their own behavior and their own attitudes about what they will accept in their culture. It takes a multitude of human actions doing something different than what they have been doing. This takes time but it also takes deliberate, focused behavior.
The rituals of religion along with the fear of the consequences of non-conformity have kept mankind focused, deliberate and accountable for thousands of years. At various times and in various places religion has had greater and lesser influence but it has always been there.
I'm not a fan of religions but I recognize many ways in which they add value and structure to community life. I don't advocate a return to religion. Instead, I pursue a future where one-by-one; humans take a focused and determined step away from religions. Not away from their faith or their morals or their values or principles, but away from the churches and religions that have arisen among followers of those faiths. This is a long term vision, not something I'll see in my lifetime.
A clearer way of visualizing this is as a step towards something better rather than as a step away from religion. Stepping away from ritual and structure imposed by religion is not in itself a bad or destructive move. The problems we see now are not because of the stepping away from religions but from the not stepping towards something better. We stepped away in an attempt to escape responsibility and accountability but what we couldn't step away from were the consequences associated with shirking these virtues.
As we left the structure and ritual behind we didn't replace it with a better plan, a direction. Instead we replaced the structure with a constant fire drill, a completely reactionary state of being where every new challenge is met as a unique scenario; unrelated to our past experiences. More and more our society is becoming dominated by people who live this way. We're sliding into a predominantly reactionary culture.
Many social problems we face are just unforeseen consequences of this same root cause, reactionism.
The problems such as:
– The Mall Shooters and violence in general
– The over medicated youth
– The devaluation of family structure and community involvement
– The fostering of a vicious us-versus-them mentality rather than a mentality of problem solving and cooperation
– The dumbing down of Americans that results from public education policy
– The ever increasing costs of this ever eroding educational effectiveness
– The political apathy
– The fiscal ignorance
– The financial gullibility
– The expectation of instant gratification for any new passion we experience
– Disregard for the value of human life and the sanctity of the individual
We treat our societies as if they were log rolling competitions rather than canoe outings. We're not getting anywhere this way. We're not seeing anything new, thinking anything new or learning any new behaviors. We're just standing here on our log, waiting for the next challenger to jump on and face us. We're just waiting to react. We don't have a destination. We either react, or we stand at the ready to react; while thinking about reacting or training for reacting.
Humans are fully capable of much more than we have so far achieved. We are capable of evaluating, planning, acting in concert, measuring results, re-evaluating, changing plans and staying focused on a goal. We go to the moon that way. When it comes to the advancement of civilization we resort to the same reactionism/log rolling that numerous civilizations before us have chosen. That baffles me. It is the path of an empire in decline that we are on and the proof is readily available for anyone who care, or dares, to compare today's choices in politics, foreign policy, fiscal and monetary policy, community structure and rituals and our morals and values to those near the end of the Roman Empire, or the Ottoman Empire or any of other lesser empires through the span of history. We are repeating the same actions and expecting different result.
Except “we” aren't, really; not consciously anyway. This is happening, sure as the sun rises fully lit, be we aren't ‘doing' it, and we're not ‘expecting' anything because there isn't a lot of proactive thought given to consequences. No, we address consequences with reactionary rationalizations or legislation. This path is the result of doing nothing but reacting. It is the path of least resistance and effort. This is the default pattern that arises over and over when a society becomes too full of folks who are easily frightened into giving their rulers total control over them. Too many people are willing to succumb to distractions rather than hold their government accountable for the consequences of its actions. Too many people abandon their responsibility to be their own best advocate and adopt a mentality of trusting their leaders to always be benevolent and protective despite their track record for doing just the opposite, all the time.
We all get what is coming whether we deserve it or not. The best we can do is learning from the past what is coming in the future. I don't know if we can change the pattern. It has never happened before and I don't see any reason to believe it will be different this time.
The biggest difference between the Suicide Bombers and the Mall Shooters is that Americans aren't yet willing to declare war on Mall Shooters or their indoctrination centers or their drug peddling doctors or parents or their religion or the government that encourages, allows and subsidizes many of these activities.
Isn't it odd that Americans can be easily convinced to be scared to panicked irrationality about foreign cultures and religions that create Suicide Bombers but they snuggle up the establishment in our own country that creates Mall Shooters?
Jahfre Fire EaterTweet
Latest posts by Jahfre Fire Eater (see all)
- Don’t Vote -or- Do - November 1, 2014
- Quest for Absolutes Unraveled - October 30, 2014
- Human Action and Fear in Politics - December 21, 2013
- The Illusion of Privacy is a Moral Hazard - August 21, 2013
- Magna Carta Ultimate - July 21, 2013
- Bitcoin Fever – Survivable? - April 7, 2013
- Why Term Limits Are A Bad Idea - April 1, 2013
- Reason and Faith are Incompatible Frames of Reference - March 28, 2013
- Notes on Party Membership - March 18, 2013
- Identifying Behavior Associated With Faith-Based Belief Systems - March 16, 2013
- Don't Let Congress Change Word Definitions By Law - March 15, 2013
- The GOP's Swiss Cheese Principles are the reason for factions. - March 7, 2013
- Addressing the Ways in which the GOP is Broken - March 4, 2013
- Beware the Herdsmen - March 23, 2012
- Don't Waste Your Breath - February 6, 2012
- Why Unions Defend the Worst of their Members; the NDAA 2012 Connect. - February 2, 2012
- Limited Government Response to Ron Paul Detractors - January 29, 2012
- Murray Rothbard Was Wrong - January 27, 2012
- Fear Is On the Run - January 4, 2012
- Don't Waste Your Vote! - November 8, 2011
- The GOP Reagan Library Debate - September 8, 2011
- Patriotism – Pledge – Paul – Party: 2011 Update - June 29, 2011
- Economic Consequences of Human Action - June 8, 2011
- Libertarians Can Learn - May 31, 2011
- Flat Tax?Fair Tax?Consumption Tax? - April 17, 2011
- Political Triage - July 18, 2010
- On Illegal Immigration - July 5, 2010
- From the Mouths of European Babes - June 5, 2010
- Wonderful Things Are Happening in the Colorado GOP. - May 23, 2010
- March Came In like a Hermit and Out Like a Delegate - March 18, 2010
- Eight Reasons Why the Nolan Chart QuizUndermines the Defense of Liberty - March 14, 2010
- More on Labels - March 3, 2010
- BIG BAD ICE!! - February 28, 2010
- History Doesn’t Begin When One Has Their First Political Thought - February 20, 2010
- Which Kind of Liberty Do You Defend? - January 21, 2010
- Save Haiti: Obama’s 2012 Re-election Strategy? - January 16, 2010
- Implications of “Free” Energy - December 17, 2009
- Faith and Fear Vanquish Logic and Reason (and Hope and Change) - December 8, 2009
- Colorado’s “Balloon Boy” Media Circus - October 17, 2009
- This Obvious Fallacy Underlies Libertarianism - October 2, 2009
- Individual actions like Joe Wilson’s “you lie” outburst should not be discouraged - September 20, 2009
- Destructive Distractions: Proper Labels and Precise Definitions - September 5, 2009
- What Right Do I Have? - August 21, 2009
- The GOP is a Broken Tool - June 3, 2009
- Practicing What I Preach - May 30, 2009
- Aren’t You a Bit Negative and Harsh On Our New President? - April 23, 2009
- Glenn Beck’s Herd - March 30, 2009
- One Stop Shopping for Populist Platitudes - March 16, 2009
- Why I’d Leave the Nolan Chart Quiz Just the Way It Is - February 23, 2009
- California Forced to Take Huge Step in the Right Direction - February 18, 2009
- The War on Terror is OVER! - February 5, 2009
- So Why DO Most Economists Ignore Preferences? - February 3, 2009
- The Success I Hope for Obama - January 30, 2009
- The Race to the Bottom - January 24, 2009
- In the Spirit of Hope and Change - January 21, 2009
- The Religion and Tactics of the Barbarians Are NOT the Reason We Kill Them - January 18, 2009
- Learn New Mantras, Meet Fellow Futility Seekers! - January 16, 2009
- Obama-nomics Has Some Folks Fooled. - January 11, 2009
- We All Get What’s Coming Whether We Deserve It or Not - January 6, 2009
- Barack Obama is Irrelevant to the Israeli Invasion of Gaza - January 4, 2009
- Liberal Social Engineering at its Fool Hardy Best - December 30, 2008
- Pay-Per-View War? - December 30, 2008
- Which Way Will the RNC Fall? - December 28, 2008
- Regarding the Article V Convention Debate - December 24, 2008
- Who Says Germans Are Not Funny? - December 24, 2008
- The Politics of the Auto Industry Bail Out - December 20, 2008
- Why Advocating a Constitutional Convention Is Not Revolutionary - December 19, 2008
- Christmas Party Politics Analyzed in Absentia - December 14, 2008
- What Does “Unexpectedly” Mean? - December 11, 2008
- Mr. Paulson, I have enough stuff. - November 26, 2008
- Ron Paul on Patriotism - November 20, 2008
- Enjoy the Deflation… - November 19, 2008
- Ron Paul Could have Been Bob Barr - November 15, 2008
- Where the People Lead, the Leaders Will Follow - November 7, 2008
- There Must Be Consequences - November 6, 2008
- A New President - November 5, 2008
- Last Minute Libertarian Conservative Republican Voting Guide - November 2, 2008
- How Much Time Do We Have Left? - October 28, 2008
- Christian Anarchists for Obamageddon? - October 23, 2008
- Fear Mongering Dogmatic Neocon Propagandists Think Themselves Conservative? - October 12, 2008
- U.S. Senate Passes the “Pocketful of Posies” Bill - October 2, 2008
- Ron Paul’s endorsement makes perfect sense - September 26, 2008
- Let’s Play a Game of Cards, Johnny. - August 29, 2008
- Everyone Won’t - August 24, 2008
- Ron Paul Scares the Hell Out of Me - July 25, 2008
- Woe is US. - July 25, 2008
- Why the GOP Has Become More Like the Democratic Party - July 20, 2008
- Why I Am Not a Libertarian - July 13, 2008
- Fed Kills Wall St. Firms to Garner More Power - July 10, 2008
- Of Course the Money Bomb Failed - July 8, 2008
- Vindication, Affirmation and Marching Orders - June 13, 2008
- Optical Illusions Explained - June 2, 2008
- The Libertarian Party Got What Was Coming - May 28, 2008
- Reactionary Ranting, Reasoning and Relating It All - May 12, 2008
- The Wisdom of the Crowd Begs the Progressive Definition of Wisdom - April 15, 2008
- You Can Avoid Being Repelled; Its Your Choice - April 1, 2008
- A Boom Time for Vampires - March 28, 2008
- Walter Williams:Tarnished Hero - March 19, 2008
- In Wizards We Trust - March 16, 2008
- Who will follow Ron Paul’s example? - March 13, 2008
- Dear Penthouse, Ron Paul Has Dropped Out… - March 9, 2008
- Ron Paul Delegates Update – Gaining Momentum! - March 8, 2008
- C*O*D*E*WO*R*D Expectation - March 4, 2008
- It was the best of times, it was the worst of times - March 1, 2008
- US Health Care Is An Oxymoron - February 28, 2008
- Ron Paul Delegates Advance Towards St. Paul - February 22, 2008
- Ron Paul: Onward and Upward! - February 9, 2008
- UN Calls California Vending Machines Illegal - February 8, 2008
- Have They Run Out of Willing Suicide Bombers - February 1, 2008
- Arnold Puts California Up for Grabs - January 31, 2008
- This Isn’t Your Father’s Recession - January 23, 2008
- Youth, Ron Paul and the Future of Conservatism - January 19, 2008
- Fred Thompson – The Ghost of Conservatives Past - January 18, 2008
- The Fire Eater ad hominem Challenge - January 14, 2008
- Third Party Run is a Horrible Idea - January 12, 2008
- Ron Paul to Poison Fans: “They’re not helping me.” - January 12, 2008
- RINO is Redundant – The Field is Fractured - January 9, 2008
- Can Ron Paul’s Message Overcome the Damage Done by His Poison Fans? - January 9, 2008
- Redouble Canvassing Efforts or Ron Paul’s Message Dies Along with Hope for America - January 4, 2008
- Ron Paul: Just Come Home - December 30, 2007
- C*O*D*E*W*O*R*D: Naive - December 26, 2007
- Who is Tim Russert? - December 23, 2007
- Kick Out the Jams Brothers and Sisters - December 19, 2007
- The Difference Between a Suicide Bomber and a Mall Shooter - December 14, 2007
- Ron Paul Declines Third Party Invitation - December 11, 2007
- Giuliani is NOT a Conservative - November 3, 2007
- Inflation Has Dropped to 0.8% - November 2, 2007
- Remnants Using the Tool – Call to Action - October 29, 2007
- Teaching the Remnant to Use the Tool - October 24, 2007
- Welcome to Jahfre Fire Eater’s First Column - October 21, 2007