“Who do you love?”
– Bo Diddley
It took me some time but I eventually “educated” myself many years ago on just exactly what was real and healthy love.
Value was the final piece fit most snugly to complete the puzzle and then it was all understood. I assigned value to what or who I loved and I truly found it to make me complete as a man. I did not make the mistake of giving it value it didn't earn.
I pledged to the very core of my being that no unrequited affections ever vex my mind nor bog down my reason. Another human being would earn their worth to me as a condition of me feeling love towards that person.
Of course this did not mean that I was setting the bar too high. Your friend Dan has made it relatively easy for people to be loved by him, just have some worth, don't be without value.
Resist being a sponge, dump that entitlement mentality it doesn't become you, and don't expect me to love you just because you breathe air. It also means that I could still like folks regardless of their value (or lack of it) to me.
With a few exceptions (politicians, obviously), I like just about everyone I know and hate no living creature in the world. I may despise their enslaving ideals or evil deeds but I just can't allow myself to love someone for the right reasons while dealing with the needless internal conflict of having hatred in my heart for others.
Your actual mileage may vary, yet I feel that a person cannot truly be able to accurately gauge their love for others for the right reasons while at the same time hold hatred of humanity for any. That to me is real love, my map if you will, of my world.
Real love is the stunning portrait of freedom in it's most wonderful essence. It is a beauty that rightfully ignores our obvious physical blemishes focusing instead on our internal light where it belongs.
Sadly enough, many mistakenly lay claim to a twisted version of what they consider to be “love”. The abuser makes a mockery of the very concept of love as he callously spits the word forth from his mouth as if he were expelling a morsel he found unpalatable.
His love is slavery in it's vilest form. His foul plan is to hide who he falsely claims to “love” from the world, lest they escape to the arms of one who can actually show that person real human love.
The stalker cannot objectively love because he places an unusually high value on what he cannot achieve with the object of his desire. He actually makes his desire an object, a thing to be possessed.
He unwittingly seeks to cheapen his time and efforts in the role of the eternal supplicant, ignoring while gradually diminishing his own sense of self-worth in his foolish quest. He too has given himself over of his own volition, into slavery.
That's my take on it. Real love sets us free to grow into the beings we were created to be. Love of oneself inspires us to create, dream, and genuinely love others for the right reasons.
Latest posts by Dan Steward (see all)
- We Do Matter - August 1, 2010
- Heroic – J. Neil Schulman - June 27, 2010
- Jeepers (former) Governor Palin - June 13, 2010
- Step Aside Warlords - June 1, 2010
- The State Is God - May 27, 2010
- Jeepers Mr. President – Part 2 - May 27, 2010
- Men Who Sneer at Oats - May 14, 2010
- Jeepers! Mr. President - May 10, 2010
- Billy Roper – Artifically Flavored “Libertarian” - May 10, 2010
- Laugh at the State - April 11, 2010
- Mother Jones Loves War –Just Not Good at Hiding It. - April 10, 2010
- The State is Never Sorry - March 23, 2010
- The Guilt Game - December 3, 2009
- The State Hates You - November 29, 2009
- Hungry Monster of “The State” Begins to Devour Itself - February 13, 2009
- Michael Phelps and the Narrow Iguana - February 5, 2009
- Politicians Can’t Compete in the Free Market - January 27, 2009
- Kopbusters 2 - January 25, 2009
- The Deadbeat State - January 22, 2009
- I Had a Lot of Reasons for Rejecting “The State” - January 18, 2009
- Answers Regarding the Libertarian “Village”. - January 16, 2009
- A Real Libertarian “Village”A=A Dude! - January 16, 2009
- Imagine That: An Anarchist Watching Star Trek - January 14, 2009
- Government Ban on Government - January 13, 2009
- Gimme $50 or I Let You Drown - January 10, 2009
- Cops and False Virtue - January 5, 2009
- Kopbusters - January 4, 2009
- So I Offended “The State”. Big Deal! - January 2, 2009
- We Won’t Abuse Our Power…We Promise - December 31, 2008
- The State Has No Real Claim On Me (Or You) - December 8, 2008
- Step Aside Government: Part 3 - December 4, 2008
- Unrequited Love Relationship With the State - November 29, 2008
- Step Aside Government: Part 2 - November 28, 2008
- You Had Your Chance Government, Now Step Aside - November 27, 2008
- The Lie of Soldiers Fighting For Our Freedom - November 26, 2008
- Robots, Clones, And Androids - November 17, 2008
- Powers of the President of a New Republic - November 15, 2008
- Your Property Isn’t Really Yours - November 12, 2008
- You Waited Too Long: Start Telling Them “NO!” Now. - October 9, 2008
- Kill Bill - September 29, 2008
- Ron Paul: Genius that Pulled a Number on 3 Largest Parties - September 26, 2008
- No War Needed: A Better Plan - September 12, 2008
- Sarah Palin: What Media Really Fears - September 5, 2008
- Bob Barr:Reconsider voting for him? - September 3, 2008
- Real Love vs. Fake Love - August 22, 2008
- Bob Barr Purposely Sabotages His Own Campaign - August 15, 2008
- “Jimmy Justice” : He Videotapes Corrupt NYC Police - August 12, 2008
- Bob Barr:Not Voting For Him…No Matter What - August 11, 2008
- How to Bribe a Politician – Part 2 - August 8, 2008
- How to Bribe a Politician - August 6, 2008
- Ban “Fat” Restaurants? Ban Fatheads Instead. - August 6, 2008
- Fair – The Other F-Word - August 3, 2008
- Prohibition Party – Dinosaurs Are Cool! - August 2, 2008
- Un-Crashing the Party, Part 2 – Monkeywrench - August 1, 2008
- FCC Exists. It Shouldn’t. - August 1, 2008
- Empire of Dirt – Enemies of Freedom Please Take Note. - July 31, 2008
- Torture Precedent? Thank the “Torture President” - July 30, 2008
- Government Encourages (and Prefers) Lawbreaking With Parking Meters - July 29, 2008
- eBay Private “Posse” Does What Cops Refuse to Do. - July 28, 2008
- Domestic Gun Control and Foreign Meddling - July 27, 2008
- Libertarians to Win Important Elections? Win the Media First - July 27, 2008
- Bob Novak Thinks He’s Better Than Us? - July 26, 2008
- $3,700 Arrest Bounty For Condi Rice in New Zealand - July 25, 2008
- Who Will Be Able to Pay These Taxes? - July 23, 2008
- How to Make Government Look More Illegitimate - July 23, 2008
- Un-Crashing the Party – Bob Barr - July 23, 2008