We can't pull out of Iraq immediately, even though the call to do so is gaining in strength. To do so would possibly doom the world's economy.
I do not support the reasons for our invasion of Iraq and I look to the day when we can bring our forces home. We also face the realization that we cannot disengage their until the country is able to protect itself from external threats. The main threat that I see is the subjugation of Iraq by Iran.
If Iran came to control Iraq, then Iran would control most of the world's oil. That is the only thing that is keeping so many of our forces engaged their. If Iraq was just another country, not an oil giant, then we would have drawn down our forces long ago. We cannot let Iran have control of a majority of the world's oil. Iran could then manipulate already high oil prices send the world economy crashing down unless the world follows Iran's demands.
Oil. The fuel that runs the world. We need it but we also hate how vulnerable it makes us. We need to protect our supply sources and to make sure they aren't dispruptd because our economy runs on oil. We will be engaged in Iraq at some level for a long time unless Iraq can defend itself or if we find a new source of energy for our economy to run on. Both are looking to be increasingly unlikely.Tweet
Latest posts by Locke (see all)
- Why we can’t take the easy road out of Iraq - May 15, 2008
- The Eastern Bloc - May 10, 2008
- Why Hillary is Loaning her Campaign Money - May 10, 2008
- Why Iraq is helping our national security - May 9, 2008
- Why America should accept the President’s wiretapping program - May 9, 2008
- Why Winston Churchill Saved the Free World - May 8, 2008