Hello Freedomphiles! I got a message from Hawaiian Congressional candidate and Hawaii Assistant State Coordinator for Paul08 Daniel Brackins (who I interviewed in The Freedom Files) about some shenanigans being pulled by the Hawaii State GOP.
It seems that they are doing their best to marginalize Ron Paul and disenfranchise his supporters. Perhaps his 16% finish in Pennsylvania buckled their knees a litte?
Ron Paul says thanks, by the way:
Anyway, so the Hawaii GOP started first by removing Ron Paul from its website, listing McCain as the nominee already, even though they haven't yet chosen their nominee. They do this at a Caucus on May 16th.
Now the delegates to the caucus are chosen locally to be sent to the Hawaii State Republican Convention. They are independent and free to vote for whomever they choose in the National Convention, as long as that person is in the race:
Except by their own commitments, National Delegates and Alternates shall not be required to support any particular candidate for the Republican nomination for President or Vice President. Candidates for delegate or alternate to the National Convention may run committed to a particular candidate for the Republican nomination for President or Vice President. Provided the candidate the delegate or alternate is supporting has not withdrawn prior to the first ballot at the National Convention, the commitment to that candidate shall be binding, but only through the first ballot.
But before they get to the National Convention, they have to go to the Hawaii Convention, and they can't vote for someone who has withdrawn from the race. So, why are they telling people that Ron Paul is not in the race?
But its more than the website. They are making an end-run around Paul supporters by actually calling the delegates to the State Convention and lying to them, trying to subvert democracy by telling them that McCain is the only one in the race.
Brackins asks that if you can find the time, help him fight this disinformation propaganda campaign by calling some of the delegates yourself and letting them know they've been lied to. Here is a list of the delegates.
He also reccommends you email Willis Lee, the chairman of the Hawaii State GOP, and tell him to put Ron Paul back on the website.
First, they disenfranchise the MO Ron Paul delegates, now this.
Look, whether you're a Ron Paul supporter or not, you should support this effort in the name of fair and open elections. No matter how much of a chance you think he has in the presidential race, he's still in the race, and the GOP should not be playing these dirty games. This is about the principles of representative government and honest elections.
This is about what's right.Tweet
Latest posts by RS Davis (see all)
- Blacks and California’s Prop 8 - November 14, 2008
- A Big Victory for the LP in North Carolina - November 7, 2008
- A Tale of Two Cities - October 30, 2008
- A Sad Excuse for a Law Professor - October 28, 2008
- Barr Gets Smacked Down Again! - October 24, 2008
- Who Could Have Predicted This? - October 22, 2008
- Open Source Government? - October 19, 2008
- A Culture of Death? - October 16, 2008
- I Always Feel Like Somebody’s Watchin Me… - October 15, 2008
- Cobb County Police Get a New Toy - October 13, 2008
- Oil Markets Get Limber - October 10, 2008
- 3rd Parties Get No Respect - October 9, 2008
- The Sex Offender Registry - October 9, 2008
- A Racial Catch 22 - October 8, 2008
- The Thinker, The Creation of Adam, and Sonic the Hedgehog - October 6, 2008
- When Sgt. Fido is Wrong - October 3, 2008
- Obama/Barr ’08 - September 30, 2008
- Tempest in a Teapot - September 29, 2008
- Why Bob Barr Is Right - September 26, 2008
- Barr Gets Smacked Down - September 25, 2008
- Goldwater’s Heir? - September 23, 2008
- Barr Finally Fights For Texas - September 19, 2008
- Scientology – Silencing Critics for Decades - September 9, 2008
- Free Katie - September 3, 2008
- Barr Fights for Texas - September 2, 2008
- In the UK, Every Window is a Rear Window - September 1, 2008
- Can’t We All Just Get Along?? - August 29, 2008
- Do You Really Need a License to Arrange Furniture? - August 29, 2008
- Is Wesley Snipes the New CEO of NewEgg.com? - August 27, 2008
- The UK’s War on Unpleasant Children - August 25, 2008
- Torture by Proxy: The Case of Maher Arar - August 19, 2008
- Did Scientology Kill Isaac Hayes? - August 11, 2008
- GOP Saves Big Oil from Windfall Profits Tax - June 11, 2008
- Highway Robbery - June 10, 2008
- rEVOLution Interview with Dr Eric Schansberg - June 6, 2008
- Welcome to the Police State - June 5, 2008
- Time Doesn’t Make You Innocent - June 4, 2008
- Drunk Driving Hysteria and the Neo-Prohibitionists - June 2, 2008
- Progress for New Zealand’s Sex Workers - May 30, 2008
- New York Recognizes Gay Marriage (For Now) - May 29, 2008
- Is Samuel Adams Spinning in His Grave? - May 28, 2008
- Pragmatism or Purity? - May 27, 2008
- Eddie Walker Walks - May 23, 2008
- It’s a Cult Cult Cult Cult Cult Cult Cult Cult Cult Cult Cult - May 22, 2008
- The Case of Mehdi Kazemi - May 21, 2008
- Say it Ain’t So, Joe… - May 20, 2008
- RPR: MO Caucus Coup Update - May 20, 2008
- The Invisible Genocide - May 16, 2008
- The Postal Robber Barons - May 15, 2008
- A Speed Bump on the Road to Paulville - May 14, 2008
- Another Innocent Victim of the Drug War - May 13, 2008
- GOVERNMENT: Putting the cart before the horse for 232 years - May 12, 2008
- RPR: rEVOLution interview – Dan Druck - May 12, 2008
- Islamic Religious Freedom in the Western World - May 9, 2008
- Conyers Questions the War on Sick People - May 8, 2008
- RPR: Want to Move to Ron Paulville? - May 7, 2008
- So the UK is as Messed Up as We Are - May 7, 2008
- The Rise and Fall of the Religious Right - May 6, 2008
- Bureaucracy vs The Market - May 5, 2008
- Gay Holocaust Victims Get Their Due - May 2, 2008
- The World Goes Topsy-Turvy for One Marijuana Researcher - May 1, 2008
- FDA Follies - May 1, 2008
- Two Incredible Men - April 30, 2008
- Wait – A Water Heater Installer is Not a Drug Expert? - April 29, 2008
- BREAKING NEWS: Hell Freezes Over! - April 28, 2008
- RPR: A Call to Arms for Ron Paul Supporters! - April 26, 2008
- I Hope You Didn’t “Always Bet On Black…” - April 26, 2008