♣ Tax Freedom?
In his recent “Texas Straight Talk” column, Dr. Ron Paul has once again soundly condemned federal taxation, calling it “double trouble.”
“Big government is destructive when it takes your money and when it spends it.” – Ron Paul, The Double Trouble of Taxation
The Tax Foundation is a nonpartisan tax research group based in Washington, D.C. Every year at about this time, the Tax Foundation calculates and publicizes a date based on their concept of “Tax Freedom Day.” You can view their new, highly recommended (by me) video here.
In their regular blog yesterday, however, Downsize DC made a good case that the Tax Foundation is being overly optimistic, and that you are probably still working, as you have been since the first day of the year, for all levels of government just to “pay your taxes.” “Tax Freedom Day” simply means that for the past four months you have been living in “Tax Bondage.”
The sorry truth is that none of your money is needed for legitimate federal government functions. All of it and more is flushed down the drain of profligate unconstitutional spending.
In less than a minute this morning, using Downsize DC's brilliant interface, I sent the following personalized message to Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer, and to Congressman Brian Bilbray:
“I am way beyond sick and tired of federal government spending. You are destroying our nation by spending money we don't have, inflating the currency, and putting my children and grandchildren deeply in debt!”
Why not take advantage of the clever Downsize DC system like I just did? Invest five minutes today to sign up, and then from time to time you, too, can help bombard congress and pressure them into doing the right thing with your money.
And now, with their permission, I turn the floor over to Downsize DC:
Today's Downsizer Dispatch . . .
Change the political environment. Recruit more Downsizers. Share this message with others.
Quote of the Day:
“If we run into such debts, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our callings and our creeds, as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give the earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they now do, on oatmeal and potatoes; have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers to account; but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-sufferers.”
— Thomas Jefferson
Subject: Is this really Tax Freedom Day?
Congratulations, you're now working for yourself. The Tax Foundation declares that today is Tax Freedom Day. From January 1 to today you were working for the government. From today through the end of the year, you'll be working for yourself.
Tax Freedom Day is three days earlier this year than last year, and well down from its peak of May 3 in 2000, but don't get too excited. The Tax Foundation attributes this year's change to slow economic growth and the “stimulus” rebate check you'll be getting soon. To our way of thinking this kind of throws the idea that today is Tax Freedom Day into doubt, because . . .
- We think economic slow-downs are primarily the result of bad government policies — and this too is a cost you're paying
- And borrowing money from our children and grandchildren, which is the source of the “stimulus” check, seems shady to us
Plus, what about the rising prices for food and energy? We believe these increases can be laid partially, or entirely, at the feet of the government . . .
- The Federal Reserve's “easy money” policy may be driving price inflation
- The federal government's dubious “strategic petroleum reserve” is increasing the demand for oil above what it would otherwise be
- Ethanol mandates and subsidies place pressure on the prices for both food and energy
Aren't these things taxes too?
And what about all the time and money you just spent filing your tax returns? Or, if you run a business, what about all the money you spend complying with dubious regulations? I personally spend a lot of my time complying with federal regulations that aren't EVEN dubious — they're just bad. And surely these costs are taxes too.
But don't blame the Tax Foundation for not including these costs. Many government taxes are well hidden, to make calculations like this nearly impossible. If we could easily see and feel all the taxes we pay then there might well be hell to pay, for the politicians. But the politicians are clever thieves, and have arranged things so that we can neither see nor feel what we really pay for government.
But things are bad enough in terms of the visible taxes. The Tax Foundation also informs us that we will spend more on these visible taxes than on the combined costs of food, clothing, and housing. Are you getting your money's worth?
Does the government provide you with things that you value more than they cost? I don't know about you, but for me the answer is a clear NO. There's very little the government does that I value at all. Even worse, I would actually pay to get the government to stop doing many things. In other words . . .
I consider much of what the government does to be positively harmful, to me, my family, and the world at large. I firmly believe that were it not for all that the government wastes and destroys nearly all of us would be wealthy beyond our wildest dreams . . .
- The economy would be vastly larger and vastly more efficient
- Prices would be lower, and the quality and variety of what we buy would be greater
- We would earn more, save more, and retire earlier at a greater level of affluence
- And society would be better equipped to handle large numbers of retirees, unlike today
I can't prove all of this in the space I have here, but I believe the evidence is abundant and easily found. Consider just two examples . . .
- I would rather give money to the Habitat for Humanity than to the Department of Housing and Urban Development
- And I would rather be able to rely on Underwriters Laboratory for drug safety than on the FDA
Similar determinations could be made for nearly every area of government activity, especially if one were to do a little research before making a judgement. I believe this is very telling.
This is why we do what we do. We want to Downsize DC for progressive reasons. Governments constantly achieve less and less while spending more and more, compared to voluntary efforts that do more and more while spending less and less.
We want to foster that part of society that gives us more by using less.
If you don't think you're getting your money's worth from government, let Congress know about it. Tell them that Tax Freedom Day doesn't come soon enough. Use our “Unfunded Liabilities” campaign to send your message.
And then, please follow-up that action by contributing as much as you can, even if it's just a few dollars per month. This is a voluntary effort, competing to reduce government. Government can steal your income in taxes, but we cannot combat government, we cannot continue to grow and succeed without, voluntary support from people like you.
Please start a monthly credit card pledge of $5, $10, $15, $20, or $25, to make us grow. All of those amounts are less than a dollar a day.
Or make a one-time donation to help us make budget for April. We're thousands of dollars short of our goal right now. And we still need just one more $100 donation to earn Jack Mullen's $1,000 matching commitment. You can contribute here.
CONTRIBUTE to the Electronic Lobbyist project [here]
http://www.downsizedc.org/is sponsored by DownsizeDC.org, Inc. a non-profit educational organization promoting the ideas of individual liberty, personal responsibility, free markets, and small government.
You are encouraged to forward this message to friends and business associates, and permission is hereby granted to reproduce any items herein as long as attribution is provided for articles and the subscription instructions above are included.
Truth Realm encourages you to sign up with Downsize DC to further the cause of the Ron Paul rEVOLution!
Here are some more Truth Realm articles:
•Ron Paul's Boot Camp for NonTaxpayers
•Google “Pulls” Ron Paul Tax Article?
•Ron Paul Meetup Enlightens San Diego Tax Lemmings
•Jesus, Ron Paul, and the IRS
•Ron Paul Single-Handedly Abolishes the IRS!
•Ron Paul and Tax Terrorism
•Which Part of Ron Paul's “Eliminate the IRS” Didn't You Understand?
•McCain, Huckabee, Ron Paul – Whose Lips Are YOU Reading On Taxes?
•Does The Bible Condemn Tax Withholding?
•My Favorite Comments from Ron Paul Supporters
Latest posts by creator (see all)
- New Energy, Hard Science - June 25, 2014
- A Helping Hand for Liberty Dollar Founder? - December 7, 2012
- Kicking the IRS Dragon – A Way to End “Obamacare” Tyranny? - October 25, 2012
- Ron Paul Win at Risk Without Vote Verification - January 3, 2012
- Iowa GOP Plans Ron Paul Defeat Via Vote Fraud - January 2, 2012
- Ron Paul Dissed by FOTF CitizenLink - October 12, 2011
- Capital Due Process, R.I.P! - October 1, 2011
- Ron Paul: Un-Electable? - September 8, 2011
- The Demo’s Done — Has Steorn Won? - January 30, 2010
- Steorn’s “Final Demo: Proving Overunity” - January 25, 2010
- “One, Two, Three… Overunity!” – Steorn - January 12, 2010
- Steorn Unimpressed With Replication Attempts - January 6, 2010
- A Tale of Two Novels - December 30, 2009
- Top Ten Uses for Time Magazine - December 29, 2009
- Naudin Replicates Steorn Orbo - December 29, 2009
- Steorn – What Constitutes “Proof” of Over Unity? - December 15, 2009
- Steorn – Why The Controversy? - December 14, 2009
- Chuck Baldwin Exposes the Insanity of Trusting in Government - December 3, 2009
- The Gospel According to Steorn - November 29, 2009
- Chastened by Steorn’s Lawyers - August 19, 2009
- Steorn 300 – First Impressions - August 10, 2009
- Congress Mocks Representative Government!
‘Cap and Trade’ Shenanigans - June 9, 2009
- Steorn 300 – Some Fine Print? - June 5, 2009
- Steorn 300 News
(Google Notwithstanding!) - May 30, 2009
- The Steorn 300 Chosen - April 29, 2009
- Leveraging “Tea Party” Tax Protests in San Diego County - April 16, 2009
- IRS Suffers Another Crushing Blow - April 15, 2009
- RE: AIG Bonuses – “Americans are immature twits” – Jim Babka, Downsize DC - March 23, 2009
- The Steorn 300 - March 14, 2009
- “Downsize DC” Backs Ron Paul’s Anti-Fed Bill - February 23, 2009
- Can You Handle the Truth About Income Taxation? - January 27, 2009
- The Fed is Destroying Your Money RIGHT NOW - October 16, 2008
- Why Rejecting this Bailout will NOT Cause a Depression - September 25, 2008
- Ron Paul-Endorsed Money Bomb a Dud? - July 5, 2008
- Use GOLD to Help Ron Paul Fight The Inflation Tax! - May 13, 2008
- Free America? Free Energy! - May 2, 2008
- Author Writes About Ron Paul; Surprised At Response - May 1, 2008
- Help Ron Paul Stop the SPP - April 28, 2008
- Ron Paul, Wesley Snipes, and Other Tax Honesty Heroes - April 25, 2008
- Tax Freedom Day? No Way! “Double Trouble” – Ron Paul - April 24, 2008
- Ron Paul, Pennsylvania, and Diebold Vote Fraud - April 22, 2008
- Ron Paul’s Boot Camp for NonTaxpayers - April 21, 2008
- Google “Pulls” Ron Paul Tax Article? - April 18, 2008
- Ron Paul Meetup Enlightens San Diego Tax Lemmings - April 17, 2008
- Ron Paul, Friend of April Fools and Taxpayers - April 15, 2008
- Jesus, Ron Paul, and the IRS - April 14, 2008
- Think You’re Free? Think Again! - April 4, 2008
- Anybody Here Seen My Old Friend Ron Paul? - April 3, 2008
- Ron Paul’s American Freedom Agenda Act - April 2, 2008
- Ron Paul Single-Handedly Abolishes the IRS! - April 1, 2008
- Ron Paul and Liberty on TV, Every DAY? - March 27, 2008
- The Cost of Everything Else - March 10, 2008
- Ron Paul May Be Partisan, but He’s not THAT Partisan! - March 8, 2008
- Without Ron Paul, Just More Bush* On The Economy - March 7, 2008
- “Dangerous and Exciting Times” – Ron Paul - March 7, 2008
- My Favorite Comments from Ron Paul Supporters - March 6, 2008
- Voting For A Loser? Vote Ron Paul, NOT John McCain - March 5, 2008
- Huck Ducks, Paul Persists - March 5, 2008
- Christian Libertarianism Makes Sense for Ron Paul And for Me - March 4, 2008
- Ron Paul and Tax Terrorism - March 3, 2008
- Which Part of Ron Paul’s “Eliminate the IRS” Didn’t You Understand? - February 29, 2008
- Ron Paul Is The Only Governor Running For President - February 28, 2008
- Jesus and Ron Paul - February 27, 2008
- When It Comes To Ron Paul News, Spin Is King - February 25, 2008
- Ron Paul “Texas Twofer” - February 24, 2008
- New “March of Liberty” Radio Show Rocks! - February 23, 2008
- McCain, Huckabee, Ron Paul – Whose Lips Are YOU Reading On Taxes? - February 23, 2008
- Senate Writes Blank Check! - February 22, 2008
- Honey, I Shrunk The Government! - February 21, 2008
- Massive Federal Incompetence, More On The Way Absent Ron Paul - February 20, 2008
- Aspiring Author Acclaims Ron Paul to Large Canadian Radio Audience - February 20, 2008
- Bush Endorsements — Kiss of Death for McCain? - February 19, 2008
- New Ron Paul Bill Fights Inflation – Will You Help? - February 18, 2008
- Can Any Good Thing Come Out of Washington? - February 16, 2008
- Are You Hungry For Liberty Yet? - February 14, 2008
- Aren’t You Sorry Now That You Wasted Your Vote? - February 14, 2008
- Building a Community of Writers – The Nolan Chart Lounge - February 14, 2008
- McCain Violates Senate Oath - February 13, 2008
- Majority of Senate Violates Oath Yesterday! - February 13, 2008
- Can The Ron Paul Freedom March Succeed? - February 12, 2008
- Ron Paul — “Storm The Capital!” - February 12, 2008
- New Media Rising! - February 11, 2008
- Ron Paul Revolutionaries: “Hang Together” - February 11, 2008
- Time For McCain To Withdraw? - February 10, 2008
- John McCain Is NOT Electable - February 9, 2008
- McCain Is Unelectable - February 9, 2008
- Good Morning, Washington! Choose Ron Paul and Freedom! - February 9, 2008
- McCain Coronation Sounds Death Knell for GOP - February 8, 2008
- Ron Paul is No Spoiler! - February 8, 2008
- Congress Passes Economic “Stick-it To Us” Package - February 8, 2008
- Ron Paul Tough On Terrorism - February 7, 2008
- Electrifying News! Paul, McCain, and Huckabee! - February 7, 2008
- The $150 Billion Fraud - February 7, 2008
- 42 Delegates For Paul, More On The Way - February 6, 2008
- Ron Paul Revolutionaries, To “The Moon!” - February 6, 2008
- Ron Paul 2nd In Montana - February 6, 2008
- Pray For Liberty! - February 5, 2008
- Want Freedom, Peace, and Prosperity? ASK For It! Vote Ron Paul! - February 5, 2008
- Enough Pain To Pick Ron Paul? - February 4, 2008
- Thank God For The Naive Voter! - February 4, 2008
- Several Hundred Rally for “Ron Paul” and “Freedom” in Balboa Park - February 3, 2008
- Ron Paul and the Ten Little Indians - February 3, 2008
- Is Super Tuesday the REAL Groundhog Day? - February 1, 2008
- Ron Paul Baby Blimp Needs New Home! - February 1, 2008
- Rush Is Right – Ron Paul and “A Snowball’s Chance”… - February 1, 2008
- Fifty-One Years! Celebrate Ron Paul’s Marriage! - January 31, 2008
- 60,000 Floridians For Ron Paul and Liberty! - January 30, 2008
- Is It Time To Eliminate The Feckless FEC? - January 30, 2008
- Singer Arlo Guthrie Endorses Ron Paul, Boomers Take Note - January 29, 2008
- Ron Paul Eats At Alice’s Restaurant - January 29, 2008
- Ron Paul Won’t Win A Single Primary… - January 29, 2008
- In Case You Missed Ron Paul’s Memo… - January 28, 2008
- “Paper or Plastic?” Why Paper Ballots Alone Won’t Help Ron Paul - January 28, 2008
- Ron Paul and Media Bias: Are You Mad As Hell Yet? - January 25, 2008
- What Are “Enumerated Powers” and Why Does Ron Paul Support Them? - January 25, 2008
- Louisiana GOP Flim-Flam Throws Election - January 24, 2008
- Rush Tacitly Endorses Ron Paul - January 23, 2008
- An Open Letter to Janet Folger of Faith2Action - January 23, 2008
- Uncle Sam Wants YOU! — to Campaign For Ron Paul - January 23, 2008
- WorldNetDaily’s Farah Endorses Ron Paul? - January 22, 2008
- Repeat After Me:
I Am The DECIDER! - January 22, 2008
- Why Ron Paul Runs - January 21, 2008
- 3, 2, 1, – Time To Rise, Give, March for Freedom! - January 21, 2008
- Pro-Life President Paul - January 20, 2008
- Rudy WHO? - January 19, 2008
- Ron Paul Scores Silver in Silver State GOP Caucus - January 19, 2008
- A Poet Laureate for Ron Paul? - January 19, 2008
- The Day Ron Paul Takes Office - January 19, 2008
- “Ron Paul, Real Republican” – Cal Thomas - January 18, 2008
- Will The Ron Paul Blimp Reach Super Tuesday? - January 18, 2008
- Hope Is On Its Way! - January 17, 2008
- Joe Rogan on Ron Paul: “Americans Fear Change” - January 16, 2008
- Is Ron Paul To Blame For His Supporters’ Every Action? - January 15, 2008
- Chart Columnists, The Lounge Is Now Open! - January 14, 2008
- Protect Your Money - January 14, 2008
- Does The Bible Condemn Tax Withholding? - January 13, 2008
- Paul Ownz FOX - January 12, 2008
- Green Eggs And Scam - January 12, 2008
- Google Meltdown? Where’s Ron? - January 11, 2008
- Ron Paul, Media Darling! - January 11, 2008
- Ron Paul Scores 2nd Victory In New Hampshire - January 9, 2008
- NH – “Live Free Or Diebold?” - January 9, 2008
- Ron Paul Hits A Home Run On Leno! - January 8, 2008
- Ron Paul and New Hampshire’s “Old Man Of The Mountain” - January 8, 2008
- Live Free Or Die? – Hardly! - January 7, 2008
- Ron Paul On Leno Tonight? - January 7, 2008
- A Simple, Foolproof “Home Presidency Test”… - January 6, 2008
- A Presidential Candidate Pop Quiz for “Dumbed-Down” Christian Conservatives - January 6, 2008
- Getting Out The Vote! - January 6, 2008
- FOX News Sunday:
“We Distort. You Deride.” - January 5, 2008
- Ron Paul’s Incredible Iowa Victory - January 4, 2008
- Would Somebody PLEASE Hand Huck A Constitution? - January 4, 2008
- Why Do Most “Christians” Seem Dumb As Posts? - January 3, 2008
- Bye, Bye FOX: WE ARE The Media Now! - January 3, 2008
- Ron Paul, RINOs, and… CINOs? - January 3, 2008
- A Race Worth “Spoiling”? - January 2, 2008
- “Boots On The Ground” For Ron Paul In Iowa - January 2, 2008
- “Truth Realm” Claims 36% Nolan Chart Readership! - January 1, 2008
- Paul’s Dismal Fundraising Misses $20 Million Mark! - January 1, 2008
- Huck Ducks Question: “WWJB?” While Media Smears Ron Paul Supporters - December 31, 2007
- The Pious Perfidy of World Magazine - December 30, 2007
- No, You May Not Vote for Ron Paul! - December 29, 2007
- Exercise Your Free Will — Vote For Hilabamruckabiani! - December 29, 2007
- Become A
“Panther For Paul!” - December 29, 2007
- So You Think Ron Paul Can WIN?
Think Again! - December 28, 2007
- San Diego Ron Paul Micro-Blimp Removed! - December 28, 2007
- An Open Letter To Joseph Farah From A Fellow Christian - December 27, 2007
- Hey Wooly! - December 25, 2007
- “For Unto US Is Born This Day…” - December 25, 2007
- “O Say, Can You See?”
A Ron Paul Blimpette Rises Over San Diego - December 25, 2007
- A Revolutionary Act – Competition in Currency! - December 24, 2007
- Christian, Are You To Blame For The Evil In America? - December 24, 2007
- A Ron Paul Christmas Song – Walking In A Freedom Wonderland! - December 24, 2007
- Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Ron Paul All The Way! - December 23, 2007
- A Ron Paul Christmas Songbook - December 22, 2007
- CODE BLUE!
Calling Ohio for Dr. Paul! - December 22, 2007
- The Gospel According To Paul (Ron Paul, That Is!) - December 22, 2007
- Deck The Halls for Dr. Paul! - December 22, 2007
- You’d Better Watch Out! - December 22, 2007
- It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Ron Paul! - December 22, 2007
- Attack Of The Ron Paul Micro-Blimps! - December 22, 2007
- Will The Real Conservative Republican Please Stand Up? - December 21, 2007
- How The US Became A Third-World Country - December 21, 2007
- The “Chuck ‘n’ Huck Show” – WWJD? - December 19, 2007
- Repeat After Me: “Ron Paul
Is NOT Electable!“ - December 18, 2007
- A Picture Is Worth… How Many Words? - December 17, 2007
- ‘Tis The Season To Think
“Ron Paul” - December 15, 2007
- A White (House) Christmas, 2009 - December 13, 2007
- What Does Ron Paul Really Want? - December 13, 2007
- ka-BOOOOMMM!!! Ron Paul Supporters’ “Campaign Terrorism” Set to EXPLODE On December 16th in Boston! - December 12, 2007
- Introducing “Downsize DC!”
– Ron Paul Would Approve! - December 10, 2007
- Biblical Stewardship – How Ron Paul’s Ideas Support Christian Missions - December 9, 2007
- A Badge of Honor? Why Not “Paulians?” - December 7, 2007
- Ron Paul Places Second in San Diego - December 7, 2007
- The Twelve Days of Christmas
(a la Ron Paul) - December 6, 2007
- Dr. Paul’s Patent Inflation Cure! - December 5, 2007
- ‘Twas the Night Before Ron Paul - December 4, 2007
- A Psalm for Ron Paul at Christmastime - December 1, 2007
- One Per Week, That’s All We Ask! - November 29, 2007