I want for you to use your imagination for a few minutes. Pretend you are an average guy, say 30 years old, married with two children under 9 years old. You've been with the same woman for around 10 years. You've had your ups and downs, just like any other married couple, but things seem to be relatively okay.
One day your wife says she's leaving you. She is taking the kids and wants a divorce. You are shocked; you didn't see this coming. In time you accept the inevitability of the divorce, given the current no-fault divorce system that grants anyone a divorce for any reason. You know that you won't be with your wife anymore, but at the very least you are going to continue to be as active in your children's lives as you've always been.
Then she gets a lawyer and sues for sole custody of the children. You respond by retaining your own attorney and the legal battle begins. The entire process of divorce wears on you emotionally. You have lost the security of your family unit, your finances are suffering and you are sure to lose considerably more, your social circle shuns you out of a desire to stay out of the divorce matter and your ability to concentrate at work declines. This is the hardest thing you've ever been through.
In the midst of this acrimony, without warning you receive the most unbelievable news of your life.
You wife has accused you of sexually molesting your 4 year old daughter.
She has obtained an emergency ex-parte order prohibiting you from having any contact with your children while you are investigated for child sex abuse. What??? How did this happen? How could this happen? This isn't some stranger making a bogus charge – this is your wife! She knows you better than anyone on earth. She knows that you would never hurt your own child – or any other child for that matter!
At first you feel angry. “Nobody is going to believe this crap”, you tell yourself. You've gone online and read government statistics that state that nearly 77% of all child sex abuse allegations made by a divorcing wife against her husband during a custody dispute are false. Surely everyone will see her evil accusation for what it is – a legal stratagem to win full custody of the kids. But this case isn't as open and shut as you first thought. You soon realize that you are in real trouble.
Immediately you find that the very accusation of child sex abuse carries such power that you are instantly put on the defensive. You started out by seeking the support of family and friends, but now even some of them seem to be treating you differently. You become obsessed with trying to prove your innocence, but quickly learn the futility of trying to prove a negative. Ask an innocent politician in public whether or not he still beats his wife. No matter how he responds, the seed of doubt has been sewn in the public's mind.
In the meantime you learn through your attorney that your little girl has been subjected to invasive physical examinations by a doctor using a rape kit. Her vagina has been examined and she has been subjected to tests for STDs that you might have given her. You can only imagine how frightened she must have been as a stranger in a white jacket inserted things inside of her. The tests come back negative. There is no evidence of any physical abuse. But rather than confirm that your daughter was not molested, the doctor issues a written evaluation stating that while there is no evidence, abuse cannot be ruled out.
Your daughter is then subjected to a series of interrogations by a social worker or other investigator whose job it is to find out what you did to her. You are presumed to be guilty. Your daughter was given anatomically correct dolls and told that they represent her and daddy. The investigator then watched how she played with the dolls to decide if her play time can be used to substantiate the claim of abuse against you. You pray that your daughter doesn't exhibit any interest in the strange body parts on the dolls – because any subtle or innocent behavior during play time might be enough to condemn you. They aren't investigating whether you are innocent or not. They are looking for something to use against you.
You feel anger and hate toward your wife for doing this to your daughter. Why doesn't anyone see that what she is doing to your little girl is the real child abuse? Your older child has also been paid a few visits from investigators. “Has daddy ever touched your penis?” God only knows what else they have put into your child's mind. Even if you do get to see your children again, they will probably never think of you the same again.
Today your boss called you into his office to ask you why your work is suffering. You don't dare tell him, but it's too late. Word has already spread throughout the office. Your boss tells you that you are out of sick time (which you had secretly been using to cover for your court visits) and places you on a disciplinary action plan. Everyone at the office looks at you differently. Those fleeting glances cause you such pain. You thought they knew you better than this, but you accept that some of them have come to believe that you are a child molester. So much for your future at this company.
Your attorney paints a grim picture. Jail sentencing for child molesters can be longer than it is for murderers (and you know what they do to convicted child molesters in prison). It looks like you are going to have to mortgage your home to pay for this protracted legal fight. You also face the prospect of a felony sex offender charge and lifetime membership on the federal sex offender registry when you get out of prison. Any hope of a productive career in a respectable profession may be over.
You have lost your wife and children. Her parents hate you for a crime you didn't commit. You have no support network left, but people are coming out of the woodwork to slather your wife with words of comfort and sympathy – and she is gloating. You haven't had a full night of sleep in months because of frequent night terrors. You are full of anxiety and depression. Your tried drinking, but it didn't help. Prayer might have helped, but you feel bitterness toward God for letting such a travesty of justice take place. You are totally alone.
The dark thoughts won't go away. Someone invisible keeps whispering them in your ear: Nobody likes you or believes you. You are going to prison for a long time and will probably be sexually abused by violent criminals. Your children think you are a sexual deviant and never want to see you again.
You think of the children you will never see again. You are dead to them. You pick up the gun and pull the trigger.
All because a vindictive wife chose to use the most devilish of legal tactics to beat you in a custody battle….
Dear reader, this account really happened. It was not a piece of fiction. Men's lives are being destroyed by the divorce industry. Nothing hurts a man more than having his children torn from his life when he has done nothing wrong. The use of the false abuse allegation is the most sinister legal tactic used today.
The story above is, sadly, not unique. Men throughout America are committing suicide, unable to bear the humiliation, shame and loss of companionship of their children that results from false child abuse allegations.
This week such a man was buried in Missouri. His name was Shawn W. O' Banion and his story is similar to those of other men that have been victimized by the family court system. His marriage to his former wife, Angela C. Meyer, ended in divorce. I have been told by individuals who knew him that to win sole custody of the children, Angela filed multiple false abuse allegations against Shawn. Even though the abuse charges were not substantiated, they were enough for Judge Kathryn Elizabeth Davis to prohibit Shawn from seeing his children. Most judges are elected officials and crave reelection. They take a “better safe than sorry” attitude toward abuse allegation cases to ensure that mistakes don't come back to haunt them politically. In Davis' case, however, she has been appointed by the Governor. It would seem that voters can't touch her.
I never spoke with Shawn personally, but I recall reading about his situation in a father's rights discussion group that we both participated in. Caring men tried to help Shawn with his case, but the dismay and depression were too great for him to deal with. He took his life a week ago. His second wife will never see Shawn again and his unborn child will never know what a good father he was. This should never have happened.
If you care about this issue – if you or someone you know has been victimized by false abuse allegations – if you need support – there is help available. You don't have to fight this battle alone. Contact me and if I can't give you the support you need, I can direct you to people who can.
Jake Morphonios is a civil rights advocate and North Carolina State Coordinator for Fathers 4 Justice – US. Jake's political opinions do not represent those of Fathers 4 Justice. Neither Jake nor F4J-US provide legal advice or assistance with individual cases.
Fathers seeking support or information, or other parties interested in becoming involved in the children's rights movement may contact Jake at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also wish to read:Tweet
Latest posts by Jake Morphonios (see all)
- Obama’s Gun Grab is Underway | Operation Choke Point - May 19, 2014
- Shocking Details About CIA Asset Saddam Hussein - May 18, 2014
- Federal Reserve Secrets Revealed - November 24, 2013
- Ron Paul Trounces Santorum on Foreign Policy in CNN Debate - January 27, 2012
- Ron Paul Restores Definition of Conservative in Florida Debate - January 24, 2012
- Rand Paul's 'Police State' Showdown Reveals Secret Alarm Practices - January 23, 2012
- SC Debate Audience Protests CNN Effort to Censor Ron Paul - January 20, 2012
- Ron Paul Shines in SC Debate, Despite Fox News Antics - January 17, 2012
- New Hampshire to America: Ron Paul is Electable - January 10, 2012
- Huge Victory for Ron Paul in New Hampshire Debate - January 8, 2012
- The Real Dirt on Slick Rick Santorum - January 7, 2012
- The Basics of Constitutional Foreign Policy – Part 2 - January 6, 2012
- Ron Paul Gaining Quickly on Romney in NH Polls - January 6, 2012
- The Basics of Constitutional Foreign Policy – Part 1 - January 5, 2012
- Exchange with Paul Nearly Ends Perry Campaign - January 4, 2012
- Ron Paul Knocks Off Michelle Bachmann - January 4, 2012
- Ron Paul Victorious in Iowa - January 4, 2012
- Is Ron Paul the Reincarnation of Grover Cleveland? - December 21, 2011
- Meghan McCain and Ron Paul - December 21, 2011
- Ron Paul Hammers Bachmann on Iran - December 17, 2011
- Ron Paul's Shot at Victory - December 16, 2011
- Ron Paul Attacked Over Newsletters - December 16, 2011
- Ron Paul Lands Punches in ABC Debate - December 11, 2011
- Ron Paul Warns of Coming Global Meltdown - December 10, 2011
- The Serial Adultery of Newt Gingrich - December 9, 2011
- Ron Paul vs Sean Hannity on Foreign Policy - August 12, 2010
- Ron Paul: Arrest and Deport Illegal Immigrants - August 6, 2010
- Ron Paul on Gay Marriage Legislation - August 4, 2010
- Ron Paul Tries to Prevent War with Red China - August 3, 2010
- Throw the Bums Out in 2010 - August 2, 2010
- The Great Custody & Child Support Scam - February 24, 2009
- Parental Child Abduction – Lesson 2 - February 23, 2009
- Parental Child Abduction – Lesson 1 - February 18, 2009
- False Child Sex Abuse Allegations – Lesson 4 - February 16, 2009
- The Slippery Slope of Internet Pornography Addiction - February 13, 2009
- Divorce & Child Custody Tactics for Women - December 4, 2008
- John McCain – Love at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel - October 16, 2008
- Post-Divorce Parenting for Men - October 15, 2008
- Preparing Teenagers for the Challenges of Life: A Critical Evaluation of Common Resources - September 2, 2008
- In Memory of All the Dead Fathers - March 26, 2008
- False Child Sex Abuse Allegations – Lesson 3 - March 24, 2008
- Ron Paul Issues Statement on Iraq War - March 20, 2008
- False Child Sex Abuse Allegations – Lesson 2 - March 20, 2008
- False Child Sex Abuse Allegations – Lesson 1 - March 18, 2008
- Jesse Ventura Confirms Consideration of Presidential Run in 08 - March 14, 2008
- Statistics from the War on Children - March 14, 2008
- Ron Paul Web Site Returns to Life - March 10, 2008
- Ron Paul’s Meeting with Rogue Farmers - March 10, 2008
- Ron Paul Attacks Obama on CNN - March 10, 2008
- President Grover Cleveland Agrees with Congressman Ron Paul - March 6, 2008
- Can the Ron Paul Revolution Thwart Kruschev’s Prophecy? - March 6, 2008
- Ron Paul Campaign in Chaos - March 5, 2008
- Huckabee Quits, McCain Seals Nomination, Paul to Concede? - March 4, 2008
- Ron Paul vs a Third Term for George W. Bush - February 29, 2008
- Ron Paul, John McCain and Adultery - February 28, 2008
- Obama Rips McCain – Ron Paul Style! - February 27, 2008
- McCentury Tries to Take Back 100 YEARS Remark - February 27, 2008
- US Family Court Complicit in the Deaths of Three Children - February 27, 2008
- John McCain Mocks Ron Paul Supporters - February 19, 2008
- The Nuclear Option: False Child Sexual Abuse Allegations in Custody Disputes - February 18, 2008
- Ron Paul Establishes Freedom March Exploratory Committee - February 15, 2008
- Ron Paul: the Candidate of Choice Among Military Personnel - February 14, 2008
- The Shroud of the War Machine - February 14, 2008
- How to Write a Powerful Letter to Congress - February 14, 2008
- The Federal Scheme to Destroy Father-Child Relationships - February 13, 2008
- The Republican Plot to Steal Paul’s Seat in Congress - February 11, 2008
- Ron Paul, GOD and the Constitution - February 8, 2008
- Why Mormons Should Support Ron Paul - February 8, 2008
- “Jane Roe” Endorses Ron Paul on 35th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade - January 22, 2008
- Ron Paul Sounds the Call to Arms - January 16, 2008
- What Ron Paul Supporters Need to Know about Martin Luther King Jr. Day - January 15, 2008
- Reasons Why Ron Paul Opposes a National ID Card - January 15, 2008
- The Answer to Your Question, Mr. Limbaugh, is Ron Paul. - January 15, 2008
- Ron Paul vs President Bush on Foreign Policy - January 10, 2008
- A Post-New Hampshire Strategy for Ron Paul’s Success - January 9, 2008
- What New Hampshire Results Mean for Ron Paul - January 9, 2008
- The Ron Paul Newsletters – Part 2 - January 8, 2008
- The Ron Paul Newsletters – Part 1 - January 8, 2008
- Ron Paul: Principled Leadership - January 8, 2008
- Fight For Ron Paul and Liberty! - January 4, 2008