“We're gonna have to take from some to give to others.”
-Hillary Clinton, November 2007
“If you work hard in America, you shouldn't be poor.”
-Barack Obama, February 2008
Whether you have recognized it yet or not, the deceptively alluring forces of collectivism (socialism/Marxism) are gathering at the gates of our beloved “City on a Hill” (America). A strange and alarming way of thinking that is altogether foreign to our historical experience as a nation has surfaced in the 2008 Presidential campaign – most notably from the two Left-leaning candidates of the Democratic Party who are both vying for the White House.
Only because far too many of us have been subtly indoctrinated from grade school with collectivist ideas and maxims can Senators Obama and Clinton go unchallenged using such blatantly Marxist rhetoric. Both are promising economic security and equality to all Americans in return for a fundamental restructuring of the American capitalist economy and government into a neo-socialist state. That perhaps some of you find this potential threat I am describing to be overstated does not justify, or explain away, the words and promises of the Democratic candidates themselves.
As both a vigilant American and a prudent student of history, I find it offensive that Hillary and Barack should so enthusiastically and shamelessly dismiss our proud 232 years of American capitalist traditions and heritage. We have for two and a half centuries prospered as no other nation has because we championed capitalism over collectivism, the individual over the State, and most important of all, liberty over equality. These values lie at the very heart, at the very core of the great American experiment in self-governance.
Both our representative democracy and our free-market capitalism are based squarely on the principle that liberty, freedom, and autonomy (and the protection of all three) are inherently more valuable than strict equality, economic security, and regulated outcomes (particularly of the “central planning” type being unproductively served up in Europe today, and now advocated by our current batch of Democratic presidential hopefuls).
The French, in their somewhat bungled attempt at a revolution in the late 18th century, recklessly embraced the idea that “equality trumps liberty”; or at least that the latter should be subservient to the former. This subtle decision – to work at making everyone equal rather than making everyone free – is the precise error in judgment that brought economic, cultural, and political failure to France over the last two centuries (as with any other Socialistic nation on earth).
The deeper wisdom of the American Founding Fathers' was to opt for liberty rather than equality and this has been a fundamental secret of our success for over two hundred years. They rightly believed that liberty does not originate from some intellectual or philosophical fountainhead; no, liberty is a gift from God and God alone. Thus, we have believed no government or political party or system of economics has the right to deprive the American people of what God freely bestowed on all of us – liberty, not even in the name of some arbitrary brand of “equality” that sounds good because the person espousing it has a nice smile and looks handsome in a suit (“pant-” or otherwise).
It's bad enough that Clinton and Obama are so wrong in their understanding of our nation's political and economic history. But for them to then wrap their naïve, simplistic, pie-in-the-sky, un-American, and Constitutionally-challenged statements under the cover of quasi-Christian and ostensibly religious language, in hopes of catering to the simple-minded and weak-willed among us, is, as far as I'm concerned, unconscionable.
For example last fall in South Carolina, Senator Obama stood in the pulpit of a church audience on a Sunday morning, supposedly “the Lord's Day,” and implored the congregation to “Make me an instrument of God…and usher in a new Kingdom on earth.” Under slightly different circumstances, someone making those same statements in public would be referred to a licensed psychiatrist or therapist for help in exploring such clearly self-proclaimed messianic assertions.
So what will this new “instrument of God” do to usher in the Kingdom? Translation: I'll give you free health care, allow you to abscond from your mortgage debts, and “usher in” a Nanny-state that will put those heartless Pharisees on the Right (Republicans) to shame once and for all……Tweet
Latest posts by R.J. Moeller (see all)
- Mere Conservatism: The Beginning - October 31, 2009
- Faith and Ted Kennedy - September 5, 2009
- Virtues Gone Wild - August 26, 2009
- Is health care a right? - August 19, 2009
- Garbage In, Garbage Out - August 11, 2009
- Sins of the Conservative Father - July 29, 2009
- In Defense of Honduras, Liberty - July 21, 2009
- Socialized Medicine, By Any Other Name - July 16, 2009
- My Week With Acton - July 1, 2009
- Free Markets Part II - May 19, 2009
- Free our “Free Markets” - May 13, 2009
- Baseball, Life, and Politics - April 20, 2009
- First Things First - April 13, 2009
- Baldwin’s Hunt For Red Taxation - April 7, 2009
- Post-election Thoughts - November 25, 2008
- A Clear and Present Choice - October 29, 2008
- The Man of Zeal - September 28, 2008
- Here’s to lipstick! - September 11, 2008
- The Audacity of Pandering - August 27, 2008
- My State of the Union: Summer 2008 - July 10, 2008
- The Rockstar is Wearing No Clothes - June 18, 2008
- Obama is no JFK - May 29, 2008
- No News, Good News from Iraq? - May 22, 2008
- Gas Tax Holiday Blues - May 13, 2008
- Beguiling Simplicity of the Left - March 31, 2008
- Ideas Have Consequences - March 20, 2008
- Collectivism De-bunked - March 18, 2008
- What the Chief forgot to “hail” - January 31, 2008
- How close is the divide in America? - December 18, 2007
- Don’t be the Lowest Common Denominator in 2008 (or in life) - November 27, 2007
- The Writers’ Strike and You - November 22, 2007
- Dear Senator Reid and Speaker Pelosi - November 20, 2007
- Methodists Gone Wild - November 14, 2007
- The right to the right to life - October 25, 2007
- Is this corn hand-shucked? - October 13, 2007
- Heart vs. Head - October 9, 2007
- The Democrats Are Falling Apart - October 3, 2007
- _ _ _ Bless America - October 1, 2007