The concept of a “fair tax” and possible dissolution of the IRS as promoted by certain Presidential candidates has created great excitement. As stimulating, refreshing and sensible as both may be, I'm afraid there are about 700,000 reasons why neither will happen in the foreseeable (like, forever) future. Consider:
- The IRS has 91,717 employees (source: IRS 2006 Data Book) with the force and weight of law relieving us of the fruits of our labor at a cost of $10.882 billion (source: IRS 2006 Budget).
- We are paying $4.128 billion to 19,242 tax preparation services with 205,122 employees to help us relieve ourselves of the fruits of our labor (source: 2002 Economic Census*).
- Ditto for a substantial portion of the $48.497 billion we pay to the 56,705 Certified Public Accounting firms with 426,208 employees (source: 2002 Economic Census*), granted, CPA's do other things besides taxes.
- Never mind the multitudes involved in litigation, ancillary services, or contracted/outsourced services (primarily by the IRS), which are undocumented and therefore indeterminate.
* The Economic Census is conducted every 5 years. The 2007 data is not yet available.
Tallying the numbers above it takes 723,000 people (jobs) at a cost of $63 billion per year just to pay our taxes. One shame of these statistics is that (I surmise) those jobs and that money are, to a great extent, included in the rosy job and GDP numbers that we hear regularly. I'm sorry, but I don't see how 723,000 people and $63 billion collecting taxes is adding value to the economy. Value is added to the economy when we spend of our own freewill, not under force of law, never mind the insult of the nature of the expenditure.
They won't go quietly.Tweet
Latest posts by Chuck Angier (see all)
- Just Say “NO” to Socialized Medicine - June 19, 2009
- Are we there yet? - March 23, 2009
- Two Credit Unions With $57 Billion of Assets Go Into Conservatorship - March 21, 2009
- The DC Voting Rights Act of 2009 - March 3, 2009
- Don’t Count on the FDIC (update) - March 2, 2009
- Ethanol Bailout Coming? - December 14, 2008
- Jobs: Headlines I’d Like to See - December 7, 2008
- Let’s Maybe CREATE Some Wealth - December 3, 2008
- Don’t Count on the FDIC - September 23, 2008
- President Authorizes up to $50 Billion in Guarantees for Money Market Funds - September 22, 2008
- Food for Thought - September 19, 2008
- Congress After a 5 Week Recess - September 11, 2008
- 84,000 Jobs Lost in August – the Rest of the Story - September 9, 2008
- Stop the Insanity! - August 24, 2008
- Obama and McCain – Their Voting Records May Surprise You - August 18, 2008
- $8 Billion in US Foreign Aid to Russia - August 15, 2008
- 51,000 Jobs Lost in July – a Different Perspective - August 3, 2008
- How Dare You Mr. Durbin! - May 24, 2008
- Food Shortage 2008 - May 6, 2008
- 63,000 Jobs Lost in February - March 9, 2008
- Taxes – What is Fair? - March 8, 2008
- Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007 - March 6, 2008
- The College Access and Cost Reduction Act - March 5, 2008
- The Workplace Religious Freedom Act of 2007 - February 28, 2008
- Health Care to consume 20% of GDP by 2017 - February 26, 2008
- The Futility of Ethanol - February 20, 2008
- Health Insurance: Problem or Solution? - February 18, 2008
- Why a Fair Tax Won’t Happen - February 17, 2008
- The Truth Hurts - February 17, 2008