feckless FEK-lis, adjective:
1. Ineffective; having no real worth or purpose.
2. Worthless; irresponsible; generally incompetent and ineffectual.
Today's Downsizer-Dispatch . . .
Good news! Opponents of the Protect America Act defeated two cloture motions yesterday. We will have more on this tomorrow, but the battle isn't over yet. Please tell your Senators to let the Protect America Act expire, and to oppose any replacement.
And now on to our regularly-scheduled Downsizer-Dispatch . . .
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“It should be common sense that if individuals can speak without limit, so too can groups of individuals.
– Bradley Smith (former member of the Federal Election Commission)
SUBJECT: The FEC vs. Free Speech
A rich person, acting alone, can spend unlimited amounts to support or oppose a candidate, without government interference. But the government will interfere plenty if two, or more, less wealthy people cooperate to match what the rich person spends.
Individuals who cooperate to express opinions about candidates have to consult lawyers and accountants, file reports with the government, and potentially face large fines. They will also be limited to contributions of $5,000 each, while the rich person, acting alone, bears none of these burdens, and can spend millions.
When it comes to political campaigns, one rich person has more rights than an infinite number of poor people.
The federal government has a special gang it uses to control the right of people to cooperate to express opinions about candidates. It's called the Federal Election Commission — FEC for short. The FEC is made up of exactly 3 Democrats and 3 Republicans. Its members never face a public election. They are appointed by the President, and approved by Congress. The FEC's partisan composition reflects its partisan purpose.
The FEC is a cartel, designed in fact, if not necessarily with the intent, to protect incumbents from challengers while insuring that neither major party gains a legal advantage over the other. This is the reason for having exactly 3 Democrats and 3 Republicans. There is no odd-numbered vote to break ties.
The FEC serves as legislature, judge, jury, and executioner — dictating the fate of all those who join together in cooperation to express opinions about political candidates. The FEC recently made use of its legislative powers to silence and control a group known as SpeechNow.org.
SpeechNow.org was created by a group of cooperating individuals to endorse or oppose candidates based on their positions regarding . . . yes, you guessed it, the FEC.
SpeechNow.org accepts contributions only from individuals, not corporations or unions. It neither contributes to parties nor candidates, nor coordinates with them. It is totally private and independent. And yet, the FEC has asserted — legislated? — that it has the power to regulate this group. This assertion of power by the FEC is not a final ruling, but it has already had the force of law.
SpeechNow.org has decided to submit to FEC governance in order to avoid legal penalties later. Source: Associated Press.
The FEC has effectively hobbled a critic of the FEC.
No legislation by elected representatives was required to achieve this outcome. No due process in a court of law was needed to reach this verdict. Instead, it was achieved by the vote of six unelected people with a direct interest in the outcome.
There are two Constitutional problems here . . .
First, the First Amendment dictates that Congress can make no laws “abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble.” If Congress can't make such laws, neither can it authorize an agency of the Executive Branch, such as the FEC, to make them.
Second, the FEC, along with many other federal agencies, writes the regulations they enforce. This is unconstitutional. If the First Amendment never existed, the FEC would still have no legitimate authority to regulate political speech. That's because regulations are laws, and the Constitution requires that all laws be written by Congress.
This is why DownsizeDC.org has proposed the Write the Laws Act (WTLA) . . .
WTLA would force Congress to write specific legislation, not just general guidelines. Congress could no longer delegate to Executive Branch agencies the power to craft detailed regulations that have the force of law. For instance, Congress, not unelected FEC Commissioners, would have to decide, in advance, whether campaign laws apply to private, independent groups like SpeechNow.org.
In other words, WTLA would limit Executive branch agencies like the FEC to investigation and prosecution. Federal agencies could no longer write regulations, hold hearings, issue rulings against the people they accuse, and levy penalties. Instead, they would be limited to prosecuting cases in a real federal court.
To learn more about the Write the Laws Act, click here.
Please tell your representatives to pass the “Write the Laws Act.” Tell them that Congress, not unelected bureaucrats, should write all the laws. Tell them that the Constitution requires the separation of powers, and that Executive Branch agencies have no proper authority to legislate, judge, or penalize American citizens.
Please use your personal comments to cite the case of SpeechNow.org as a specific example of why we need the “Write the Laws Act.” You can send your message here.
Thank you for being a DC Downsizer
Assistant to the President
By James Leroy Wilson at Jan 29 2008 – 10:19am
CONTRIBUTE to the Electronic Lobbyist project at
http://www.downsizedc.org/is sponsored by DownsizeDC.org, Inc. – a non-profit educational organization promoting the ideas of individual liberty, personal responsibility, free markets, and small government.
You are encouraged to forward this message to friends and business associates, and permission is hereby granted to reproduce any items herein as long as attribution is provided for articles and the subscription instructions above are included.Tweet
Latest posts by creator (see all)
- New Energy, Hard Science - June 25, 2014
- A Helping Hand for Liberty Dollar Founder? - December 7, 2012
- Kicking the IRS Dragon – A Way to End “Obamacare” Tyranny? - October 25, 2012
- Ron Paul Win at Risk Without Vote Verification - January 3, 2012
- Iowa GOP Plans Ron Paul Defeat Via Vote Fraud - January 2, 2012
- Ron Paul Dissed by FOTF CitizenLink - October 12, 2011
- Capital Due Process, R.I.P! - October 1, 2011
- Ron Paul: Un-Electable? - September 8, 2011
- The Demo’s Done — Has Steorn Won? - January 30, 2010
- Steorn’s “Final Demo: Proving Overunity” - January 25, 2010
- “One, Two, Three… Overunity!” – Steorn - January 12, 2010
- Steorn Unimpressed With Replication Attempts - January 6, 2010
- A Tale of Two Novels - December 30, 2009
- Top Ten Uses for Time Magazine - December 29, 2009
- Naudin Replicates Steorn Orbo - December 29, 2009
- Steorn – What Constitutes “Proof” of Over Unity? - December 15, 2009
- Steorn – Why The Controversy? - December 14, 2009
- Chuck Baldwin Exposes the Insanity of Trusting in Government - December 3, 2009
- The Gospel According to Steorn - November 29, 2009
- Chastened by Steorn’s Lawyers - August 19, 2009
- Steorn 300 – First Impressions - August 10, 2009
- Congress Mocks Representative Government!
‘Cap and Trade’ Shenanigans - June 9, 2009
- Steorn 300 – Some Fine Print? - June 5, 2009
- Steorn 300 News
(Google Notwithstanding!) - May 30, 2009
- The Steorn 300 Chosen - April 29, 2009
- Leveraging “Tea Party” Tax Protests in San Diego County - April 16, 2009
- IRS Suffers Another Crushing Blow - April 15, 2009
- RE: AIG Bonuses – “Americans are immature twits” – Jim Babka, Downsize DC - March 23, 2009
- The Steorn 300 - March 14, 2009
- “Downsize DC” Backs Ron Paul’s Anti-Fed Bill - February 23, 2009
- Can You Handle the Truth About Income Taxation? - January 27, 2009
- The Fed is Destroying Your Money RIGHT NOW - October 16, 2008
- Why Rejecting this Bailout will NOT Cause a Depression - September 25, 2008
- Ron Paul-Endorsed Money Bomb a Dud? - July 5, 2008
- Use GOLD to Help Ron Paul Fight The Inflation Tax! - May 13, 2008
- Free America? Free Energy! - May 2, 2008
- Author Writes About Ron Paul; Surprised At Response - May 1, 2008
- Help Ron Paul Stop the SPP - April 28, 2008
- Ron Paul, Wesley Snipes, and Other Tax Honesty Heroes - April 25, 2008
- Tax Freedom Day? No Way! “Double Trouble” – Ron Paul - April 24, 2008
- Ron Paul, Pennsylvania, and Diebold Vote Fraud - April 22, 2008
- Ron Paul’s Boot Camp for NonTaxpayers - April 21, 2008
- Google “Pulls” Ron Paul Tax Article? - April 18, 2008
- Ron Paul Meetup Enlightens San Diego Tax Lemmings - April 17, 2008
- Ron Paul, Friend of April Fools and Taxpayers - April 15, 2008
- Jesus, Ron Paul, and the IRS - April 14, 2008
- Think You’re Free? Think Again! - April 4, 2008
- Anybody Here Seen My Old Friend Ron Paul? - April 3, 2008
- Ron Paul’s American Freedom Agenda Act - April 2, 2008
- Ron Paul Single-Handedly Abolishes the IRS! - April 1, 2008
- Ron Paul and Liberty on TV, Every DAY? - March 27, 2008
- The Cost of Everything Else - March 10, 2008
- Ron Paul May Be Partisan, but He’s not THAT Partisan! - March 8, 2008
- Without Ron Paul, Just More Bush* On The Economy - March 7, 2008
- “Dangerous and Exciting Times” – Ron Paul - March 7, 2008
- My Favorite Comments from Ron Paul Supporters - March 6, 2008
- Voting For A Loser? Vote Ron Paul, NOT John McCain - March 5, 2008
- Huck Ducks, Paul Persists - March 5, 2008
- Christian Libertarianism Makes Sense for Ron Paul And for Me - March 4, 2008
- Ron Paul and Tax Terrorism - March 3, 2008
- Which Part of Ron Paul’s “Eliminate the IRS” Didn’t You Understand? - February 29, 2008
- Ron Paul Is The Only Governor Running For President - February 28, 2008
- Jesus and Ron Paul - February 27, 2008
- When It Comes To Ron Paul News, Spin Is King - February 25, 2008
- Ron Paul “Texas Twofer” - February 24, 2008
- New “March of Liberty” Radio Show Rocks! - February 23, 2008
- McCain, Huckabee, Ron Paul – Whose Lips Are YOU Reading On Taxes? - February 23, 2008
- Senate Writes Blank Check! - February 22, 2008
- Honey, I Shrunk The Government! - February 21, 2008
- Massive Federal Incompetence, More On The Way Absent Ron Paul - February 20, 2008
- Aspiring Author Acclaims Ron Paul to Large Canadian Radio Audience - February 20, 2008
- Bush Endorsements — Kiss of Death for McCain? - February 19, 2008
- New Ron Paul Bill Fights Inflation – Will You Help? - February 18, 2008
- Can Any Good Thing Come Out of Washington? - February 16, 2008
- Are You Hungry For Liberty Yet? - February 14, 2008
- Aren’t You Sorry Now That You Wasted Your Vote? - February 14, 2008
- Building a Community of Writers – The Nolan Chart Lounge - February 14, 2008
- McCain Violates Senate Oath - February 13, 2008
- Majority of Senate Violates Oath Yesterday! - February 13, 2008
- Can The Ron Paul Freedom March Succeed? - February 12, 2008
- Ron Paul — “Storm The Capital!” - February 12, 2008
- New Media Rising! - February 11, 2008
- Ron Paul Revolutionaries: “Hang Together” - February 11, 2008
- Time For McCain To Withdraw? - February 10, 2008
- John McCain Is NOT Electable - February 9, 2008
- McCain Is Unelectable - February 9, 2008
- Good Morning, Washington! Choose Ron Paul and Freedom! - February 9, 2008
- McCain Coronation Sounds Death Knell for GOP - February 8, 2008
- Ron Paul is No Spoiler! - February 8, 2008
- Congress Passes Economic “Stick-it To Us” Package - February 8, 2008
- Ron Paul Tough On Terrorism - February 7, 2008
- Electrifying News! Paul, McCain, and Huckabee! - February 7, 2008
- The $150 Billion Fraud - February 7, 2008
- 42 Delegates For Paul, More On The Way - February 6, 2008
- Ron Paul Revolutionaries, To “The Moon!” - February 6, 2008
- Ron Paul 2nd In Montana - February 6, 2008
- Pray For Liberty! - February 5, 2008
- Want Freedom, Peace, and Prosperity? ASK For It! Vote Ron Paul! - February 5, 2008
- Enough Pain To Pick Ron Paul? - February 4, 2008
- Thank God For The Naive Voter! - February 4, 2008
- Several Hundred Rally for “Ron Paul” and “Freedom” in Balboa Park - February 3, 2008
- Ron Paul and the Ten Little Indians - February 3, 2008
- Is Super Tuesday the REAL Groundhog Day? - February 1, 2008
- Ron Paul Baby Blimp Needs New Home! - February 1, 2008
- Rush Is Right – Ron Paul and “A Snowball’s Chance”… - February 1, 2008
- Fifty-One Years! Celebrate Ron Paul’s Marriage! - January 31, 2008
- 60,000 Floridians For Ron Paul and Liberty! - January 30, 2008
- Is It Time To Eliminate The Feckless FEC? - January 30, 2008
- Singer Arlo Guthrie Endorses Ron Paul, Boomers Take Note - January 29, 2008
- Ron Paul Eats At Alice’s Restaurant - January 29, 2008
- Ron Paul Won’t Win A Single Primary… - January 29, 2008
- In Case You Missed Ron Paul’s Memo… - January 28, 2008
- “Paper or Plastic?” Why Paper Ballots Alone Won’t Help Ron Paul - January 28, 2008
- Ron Paul and Media Bias: Are You Mad As Hell Yet? - January 25, 2008
- What Are “Enumerated Powers” and Why Does Ron Paul Support Them? - January 25, 2008
- Louisiana GOP Flim-Flam Throws Election - January 24, 2008
- Rush Tacitly Endorses Ron Paul - January 23, 2008
- An Open Letter to Janet Folger of Faith2Action - January 23, 2008
- Uncle Sam Wants YOU! — to Campaign For Ron Paul - January 23, 2008
- WorldNetDaily’s Farah Endorses Ron Paul? - January 22, 2008
- Repeat After Me:
I Am The DECIDER! - January 22, 2008
- Why Ron Paul Runs - January 21, 2008
- 3, 2, 1, – Time To Rise, Give, March for Freedom! - January 21, 2008
- Pro-Life President Paul - January 20, 2008
- Rudy WHO? - January 19, 2008
- Ron Paul Scores Silver in Silver State GOP Caucus - January 19, 2008
- A Poet Laureate for Ron Paul? - January 19, 2008
- The Day Ron Paul Takes Office - January 19, 2008
- “Ron Paul, Real Republican” – Cal Thomas - January 18, 2008
- Will The Ron Paul Blimp Reach Super Tuesday? - January 18, 2008
- Hope Is On Its Way! - January 17, 2008
- Joe Rogan on Ron Paul: “Americans Fear Change” - January 16, 2008
- Is Ron Paul To Blame For His Supporters’ Every Action? - January 15, 2008
- Chart Columnists, The Lounge Is Now Open! - January 14, 2008
- Protect Your Money - January 14, 2008
- Does The Bible Condemn Tax Withholding? - January 13, 2008
- Paul Ownz FOX - January 12, 2008
- Green Eggs And Scam - January 12, 2008
- Google Meltdown? Where’s Ron? - January 11, 2008
- Ron Paul, Media Darling! - January 11, 2008
- Ron Paul Scores 2nd Victory In New Hampshire - January 9, 2008
- NH – “Live Free Or Diebold?” - January 9, 2008
- Ron Paul Hits A Home Run On Leno! - January 8, 2008
- Ron Paul and New Hampshire’s “Old Man Of The Mountain” - January 8, 2008
- Live Free Or Die? – Hardly! - January 7, 2008
- Ron Paul On Leno Tonight? - January 7, 2008
- A Simple, Foolproof “Home Presidency Test”… - January 6, 2008
- A Presidential Candidate Pop Quiz for “Dumbed-Down” Christian Conservatives - January 6, 2008
- Getting Out The Vote! - January 6, 2008
- FOX News Sunday:
“We Distort. You Deride.” - January 5, 2008
- Ron Paul’s Incredible Iowa Victory - January 4, 2008
- Would Somebody PLEASE Hand Huck A Constitution? - January 4, 2008
- Why Do Most “Christians” Seem Dumb As Posts? - January 3, 2008
- Bye, Bye FOX: WE ARE The Media Now! - January 3, 2008
- Ron Paul, RINOs, and… CINOs? - January 3, 2008
- A Race Worth “Spoiling”? - January 2, 2008
- “Boots On The Ground” For Ron Paul In Iowa - January 2, 2008
- “Truth Realm” Claims 36% Nolan Chart Readership! - January 1, 2008
- Paul’s Dismal Fundraising Misses $20 Million Mark! - January 1, 2008
- Huck Ducks Question: “WWJB?” While Media Smears Ron Paul Supporters - December 31, 2007
- The Pious Perfidy of World Magazine - December 30, 2007
- No, You May Not Vote for Ron Paul! - December 29, 2007
- Exercise Your Free Will — Vote For Hilabamruckabiani! - December 29, 2007
- Become A
“Panther For Paul!” - December 29, 2007
- So You Think Ron Paul Can WIN?
Think Again! - December 28, 2007
- San Diego Ron Paul Micro-Blimp Removed! - December 28, 2007
- An Open Letter To Joseph Farah From A Fellow Christian - December 27, 2007
- Hey Wooly! - December 25, 2007
- “For Unto US Is Born This Day…” - December 25, 2007
- “O Say, Can You See?”
A Ron Paul Blimpette Rises Over San Diego - December 25, 2007
- A Revolutionary Act – Competition in Currency! - December 24, 2007
- Christian, Are You To Blame For The Evil In America? - December 24, 2007
- A Ron Paul Christmas Song – Walking In A Freedom Wonderland! - December 24, 2007
- Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Ron Paul All The Way! - December 23, 2007
- A Ron Paul Christmas Songbook - December 22, 2007
- CODE BLUE!
Calling Ohio for Dr. Paul! - December 22, 2007
- The Gospel According To Paul (Ron Paul, That Is!) - December 22, 2007
- Deck The Halls for Dr. Paul! - December 22, 2007
- You’d Better Watch Out! - December 22, 2007
- It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Ron Paul! - December 22, 2007
- Attack Of The Ron Paul Micro-Blimps! - December 22, 2007
- Will The Real Conservative Republican Please Stand Up? - December 21, 2007
- How The US Became A Third-World Country - December 21, 2007
- The “Chuck ‘n’ Huck Show” – WWJD? - December 19, 2007
- Repeat After Me: “Ron Paul
Is NOT Electable!“ - December 18, 2007
- A Picture Is Worth… How Many Words? - December 17, 2007
- ‘Tis The Season To Think
“Ron Paul” - December 15, 2007
- A White (House) Christmas, 2009 - December 13, 2007
- What Does Ron Paul Really Want? - December 13, 2007
- ka-BOOOOMMM!!! Ron Paul Supporters’ “Campaign Terrorism” Set to EXPLODE On December 16th in Boston! - December 12, 2007
- Introducing “Downsize DC!”
– Ron Paul Would Approve! - December 10, 2007
- Biblical Stewardship – How Ron Paul’s Ideas Support Christian Missions - December 9, 2007
- A Badge of Honor? Why Not “Paulians?” - December 7, 2007
- Ron Paul Places Second in San Diego - December 7, 2007
- The Twelve Days of Christmas
(a la Ron Paul) - December 6, 2007
- Dr. Paul’s Patent Inflation Cure! - December 5, 2007
- ‘Twas the Night Before Ron Paul - December 4, 2007
- A Psalm for Ron Paul at Christmastime - December 1, 2007
- One Per Week, That’s All We Ask! - November 29, 2007