I got this email from my dad. Normally I ignore these things but the amount of misinformation was too much. by Bill Gee
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
I believe the text below was originally part of a blog posting. It's been repeated so often that it's been gumming up the Google search engine yet I've seen very few postings that are attempting to challenge its claims. The most laughable part of it is when the author contends that Wal-Mart should "fix the economy".
The original is in normal Text and my responses are in Bold.
This is spot-on. (Hardly. This email is so full of misinformation it’s hard to know where to start!)
PLEASE READ THIS TO THE END. IT IS VERY INTERESTING!!! (We should always be wary of unsolicited emails that say this, but I fell for it anyway)
Wal-Mart vs. The Morons (The real morons are the ones who believe this claptrap without checking their facts first!)
1. Americans spend $36,000,000 at Wal-Mart Every hour of every day.
2. This works out to $20,928 profit every minute!
That’s why three members of the Walton family are among the top ten wealthiest people in the world.
3. Wal-Mart will sell more from January 1 to St. Patrick's Day (March 17th) than Target sells all year.
That's due to Economies of scale. If you control the means of production from seed to table, you can sell more than everyone else, too! Only one other economy has managed to do the same thing on such a wide scale – It’s called the Chinese Communist Party! Ironic that most of Wal-Mart's products come from there!
4. Wal-Mart is bigger than Home Depot + Kroger + Target +Sears + Costco + K-Mart combined.
You, too can be bigger than all of your competitors if you can control the entire production and distribution chain, ignore human rights, poison the environment, bribe foreign governments, and help turn millions of Americans into thoughtless consumers!
5. Wal-Mart employs 1.6 million people, is the world's largest private employer, and most speak English.
Over 80% of these "employees" earn minimum wage, have little to no health insurance, no job security, and can be fired for complaining about an abusive supervisor. If all we want in the world is a debtor class who mindlessly do what their told all the time, Wal-Mart’s model is the one to follow!
6. Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the world.
True. But at what cost?
7. Wal-Mart now sells more food than Kroger and Safeway combined, and keep in mind they did this in only fifteen years.
Wal-Mart almost exclusively sells Genetically modified, factory-farm-produced food. GMO seed produced by Monsanto must be grown using millions of gallons of chemical fertilizers and pesticides in order to maintain their single-crop model. It’s been scientifically proven that GMO-produced food contain less vitamins and eating such foods may even be counter-productive to your overall health and well-being as your liver and kidneys have to work twice as hard to dispose of the preservatives and pesticides in the food you eat.
8. During this same period, 31 big supermarket chains sought bankruptcy.
Again, this is due to a massive misinformation campaign by Monsanto and Con-Agra and supported by Wal-Mart. Local, farm-fresh food developed using sustainable agriculture are being driven out of business by Wal-Mart’s "Low-Low" prices.
9. Wal-Mart now sells more food than any other store in the world.
Sad. Who do you think is going to pay for all those people getting cancer, liver disease, heart disease, and diabetes from eating Wal-Mart’s food?
10. Wal-Mart has approx 3,900 stores in the USA of which 1,906 are Super Centers; this is 1,000 more than it had five years ago.
Each one responsible for destroying hundreds of local small businesses and putting millions of Americans out of work.
11. This year 7.2 billion different purchasing experiences will occur at Wal-Mart stores. (Earth's population is approximately 6.5 Billion.)
You’ve got to hand it to them. They really know how to spread the word.
12. 90% of all Americans live within fifteen miles of a Wal-Mart.
And this is something we should be celebrating?
You may think that I am complaining, but I am really laying the ground work for suggesting that MAYBE we should hire the guys who run Wal-Mart to fix the economy.
Why should they? They already run the government! They spent over $1.5 million in direct lobbying in 2011, the Walton family has given over half a million dollars to SuperPacs so far this year (all of whom have been accused of corporate bribery), former Wal-Mart and Monsanto employees sit in key positions on the FDA, EPA, SEC and the Federal Reserve (just to name a few). In short, it’s laughable to suggest that Wal-Mart should "take over the government" because they already have.
This should be read and understood by all Americans… Democrats, Republicans, EVERYONE!!
To President Obama and all 535 voting members of the Legislature
It is now official that the majority of you are corrupt morons:
As if this was news, but who made them into corrupt morons?
a. The U.S. Postal Service was established in 1775. You have had 234 years to get it right and it is broke.
That’s because it uses an outdated model that pushed the true cost of a postage stamp too low for political reasons. Surprise! They’re broke now. Try sending a "letter" at UPS. Do you think it’ll cost you less than a buck to send it? Think again.
b. Social Security was established in 1935. You have had 74 years to get it right and it is broke.
Entire books have been written on this subject. What it basically comes down to is
1) Americans started living longer and the system as it was originally designed didn’t adapt.
2) It was politically unpopular to increase the SS payroll tax to support the fact that people were living longer, so they simply let it go when it would’ve been an easy fix twenty years ago.
3) As corporate profits increased, corporate lobbyists insisted that taking care of people post-retirement was the government’s responsibility, not theirs. They then supported those candidates who maintained the status quo so they could protect their bottom lines.
4) During the "surplus years", Congress used the Social Security Trust Fund like a piggy bank to fund pork projects. That money was supposed to be held in "trust" for every American who paid into it. Now they're calling it a "benefit" - the implied subtext is that benefits can be reduced or taken away. If you paid into Social Security all your working life, you are "entitled" to that money. It belongs to you because YOU paid for it! Now they're saying that you're probably not going to get what you paid for it because they decided to rob the piggy bank and they don't feel the need to pay that money back! How wrong is that?
c. Fannie Mae was established in 1938. You have had 71 years to get it right and it is broke.
Again, whole books have been written on this subject.
1) Fannie Mae was doing fine up until the 1990’s, which is when Wal-Mart and other mega-retail corporations felt it would be better for their bottom line if more people owned homes. That way they would need to buy more stuff to fill those homes.
2) They then lowered mortgage rates and authorized the development of the Mortgage-Backed Security Market so that Wall Street investors would bear the brunt of the downside risk. Unfortunately, the downside risk was also borne by pension funds and municipal governments.
3) This ballooned into a massive mortgage market where people were being approved to own homes who had no income and no means to make a single payment.
4) After the 2008 financial crisis, in order to avoid total economic collapse, the government needed to nationalize and embarrass Fannie Mae for essentially doing what it was told to do by its corporate masters.
5) Four years later, mortgage rates are still artificially low because Wal-Mart is afraid that if too many people lose their homes, nobody will be left to buy their cheap products, which denies the market a natural bounce-back, which then only prolongs and deepens the crisis.
d. War on Poverty started in 1964. You have had 45 years to get it right; $1 trillion of our money is confiscated each year and transferred to "the poor" and they only want more..
If a population is kept ignorant and without access to basic necessities, they will be a burden on society. However, if you educate them and provide venture capital for them to start their own businesses, then they will prosper. The problem is that the current model serves the Wal-Mart corporate interest.
1) Where do the majority of the nation’s poor shop? Wal-Mart.
2) Where do they get the money to shop? Welfare, Food Stamps, Social Security.
3) Does Wal-Mart support the social safety net? Absolutely!
If the social safety net were ended today, then Wal-Mart would need to start closing stores in some of the poorest areas of the nation – losing millions in profits in the process, so it’s in their long-term business interest to maintain the status quo.
e. Medicare and Medicaid were established in 1965. You have had 44 years to get it right and they are broke.
Again, entire books have been written on this subject.
1) Both Democrats and Republicans have expanded these programs with absolutely no idea how they were going to fund it.
2) Wal-Mart and other employers have no intention of picking up the slack by insuring their minimum-wage workers, so they’ve been telling the government to provide health benefits and to take the cost out of the paychecks of their employees while they’re at it.
3) The mega-medical corporations didn’t want to be left out, so they inflated their costs so that they can increase their profits while refusing to give health benefits to their lowest-paid employees.
f. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. You have had 39 years to get it right and it is broke.
See Fannie Mae above.
g. The Department of Energy was created in 1977 to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 billion a year and we import more oil than ever before. You had 32 years to get it right and it is an abysmal failure.
The DOE started working on ways to build an alternative energy infrastructure in the late 1970’s, but lobbying from EXXON, BP and others in the oil and gas industry, as well as US Automakers prevented it because a renewable energy infrastructure would hurt their bottom lines. Only now we’re starting to build such an infrastructure but now even that effort’s being undercut by hydrofracking. If we have lots of cheap natural gas, why invest in solar or wind?
You have FAILED in every "government service" you have shoved down our throats while overspending our tax dollars.
From Wal-Mart’s point of view, the government is working just fine. Their mega-profits are assured, and the ignorant masses will continue to purchase their harmful products without any worries about government interference.
AND YOU WANT AMERICANS TO BELIEVE YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH A GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE SYSTEM ?
The Affordable Care Act was another example of corporate welfare to the Health Insurance Industry. Wal-Mart is bitching about it because they’re going to have to spend some of their money to their friends in that corporate bloc and not lining their own pockets. But don’t worry, Wal-Mart has a solution like only Wal-Mart can do. They just started their own Health Insurance Company! They've even started putting Health Clinics inside of some of their Super Centers so that Wal-Mart's shoppers can get a check-up by a Wal-Mart doctor who can then recommend Wal-Mart healthcare products and Wal-Mart brand prescription drugs! That way Wal-Mart can sell more products while taking more of our taxpayer money in the form of expanded Medicare and Medicaid coverage. Once the individual mandate kicks in, don't be surprised if Wal-Mart starts offering Health Insurance to its customers just as long as their family doctor is a Wal-Mart employee.
Just don't expect your friendly Wal-Mart doctor to provide you with actual healthcare.
Folks, keep this circulating.. It is very well stated. Maybe it will end up in the e-mails of some of our "duly elected' (they never read anything) and their staff will clue them in on how Americans feel.
Yes, please circulate this with the rebuttals. Only then can we start a meaningful debate instead of simply grandstanding a single point of view masquerading as the truth just because it’s repeated a million times.
AND I know what's wrong. We have lost our minds to "Political Correctness" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, that’s rich! The author is an ignorant a$$ and anyone who challenges his point of view is washing in the bath of political correctness! Give me a break!
Someone please tell me what the HECK's wrong with all the people that run this country!
It’s simple. The corporate political state has brainwashed the masses into believing everything they see on TV. They provide money to politicians who support their point of view so that their name and message can appear on said TV, and then they’re elected into office so that they can do their bidding with absolutely no checks and balances.
We're "broke" and can't help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, Homeless etc.???????????
Now this guy is starting to sound like a Liberal! If you want to help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans and Homeless, dismantle the entire military industrial complex, end the global American Empire, dismantle the Federal Reserve, end corporate "personhood" and outlaw the practice of fractional banking. I guarantee that within three years, we could turn our country around.
In the last months we have provided aid to Haiti , Chile, and Turkey, and now Pakistan - previous home of bin Laden. Literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!
Aid to foreign nations is not the issue. Wars of Occupation is.
Our retired seniors living on a 'fixed income' receive no aid nor do they get any breaks.
True. But they’re going to die soon anyway, right? Oh wait, no. They’re living longer, so I suppose we’ll have to depend on the children of aging seniors to support them. That is, if they can ever pay off their student loans first!
AMERICA: a country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed hungry, elderly going without 'needed' meds, and mentally ill without treatment, etc.,etc.
Exactly. Sad, isn’t it?
Imagine if the *GOVERNMENT* gave 'US' the same support they give to other countries. Sad isn't it?
If you took all the money given to other countries and instead gave it to "US", Wal-Mart and every other mega-corporation would find a way to funnel the money back to themselves. Of course, Halliburton won’t do down without a fight, so no help there, either.
99% of people won't have the guts to forward this.
I hope you do.
I'm one of the 1% -- I Just Did.
Did you like this article? If you did, Thumb It! 74
thumbs so far
The views expressed
in this article are those of Bill Gee only and
do not represent the views of Nolan Chart, LLC or its affiliates.
Bill Gee is solely responsible for the contents
of this article and is not an employee or otherwise affiliated
with Nolan Chart, LLC in his/her role as a columnist.