Several months ago I wrote about receiving the American Community Survey.
As if the American Community Survey is not enough of a frontal attack on privacy, I received Form SBO-1 from the US Department of Commerce last week. What are they asking for? Information on my 2007 Self-Employment. Are you as surprised as I am that the year they are studying is 2007?
This survey is done only once every five years. I can only wonder what the odds are of receiving both the American Community Census and this Survey in the same year? I must be a lucky guy!
I wonder if the same person that came to my front door to check on the status of my American Community Survey will be sent back. She inquired as to whether or not I had sent it in, and I answered truthfully. “Yes, I sent it back”, was my reply.
I believe in privacy. I believe that anything I must submit to a Federal Agency that ONLY I know, should be requested voluntarily or demanded via a warrant. Otherwise, I am being singled out by the Federal Government while my neighbor is not. And that is not equal treatment.
Privacy lost will never be recovered. It is only because so many cooperate, that they continue to coerce us into even more cooperation.
But this same information is then used to undermine the freedoms and liberties we know we should have. Principles are worthless if they are not stood upon, and I will stand on my principles here.
My race, my sex, my education, my source of financing should have no bearing on government decisions. They have no bearing on the success or failure of my business. I alone bear that responsibility.
If I do not answer the questions, I face a $5,000 fine. If I do not answer truthfully, I face a $10,000 fine. I wonder how they will know I did not answer truthfully if they do not already know the answers?
To realize that the Commerce Department is busy collecting data on 2007, the year prior to the collapse of the economy, is a surprise. Perhaps they want to determine what was working before the wheels came off the economic engine of Small Business Owners and the self-employed, such as myself. Think again.
There are no survey questions on how to improve the business environment. There are no questions asking what conditions need to be present to hire additional employees. There are no questions asking if I am even making a profit. There are no questions about the personal sacrifices I have made in order for my personal business to succeed. If you are like me, you may wonder why that is. The truth is the only concern they have is how much they can tax you.
Here is what they want to know about me:
In 2007, did another company or organization own more than 50% of this business?
In 2007, did employees under an Employee Stock Ownership Plan own more than 50% of this business?
(Basically did anyone else own more than 50% of my business)
In 2007, was this business jointly owned by a husband and wife, and who primarily operates the business.
Did two or more members of the same family own the majority of this business?
What was the percentage of ownership of the top four owners, and their job titles?
How did I acquire the ownership?
When did I acquire ownership?
What is my function?
How many hours per week do I work?
Is this my primary source of income?
Have I owned any other businesses prior to this one?
What is my education level?
What is my sex?
What was my age on December 31, 2007
Am I from the United States?
Am I Spanish/Hispanic/Latino? (Apparently these are NOT races for this survey)
What is my race? (If I were Spanish/Hispanic/Latino, there is not that option. There are 14 other choices, and I can write in Spanish/Hispanic/Latino if I choose to do so.)
Am I a veteran?
Am I a disabled veteran?
When did I start this business(what year)?
Where did I get the capital to start this business?
How much capital did I use to start this business?
Did this business operate from my home?
As a franchise?
What sources were used to finance expansion or pay for capital improvements in 2007?
Which of the following customers provide me with 10% or more of my business's total sales/services?
State and local Government?
What percentage of my total sales was exports outside the United States?
In 2007, did I establish operations outside the United States?
In 2007, did I transfer any business functions outside the United States?
What language do I conduct business in?
What type of employees do I have?
Options include Full-time paid, Part-time paid, Paid day laborers, Temporary, Leased, and contractors.
What benefits were totally or partially paid?
Health insurance, contributions to retirement plans, profit sharing, Paid holidays, vacation and sick leave?
Did I have a web site in 2007?
Do I make purchases online?
Am I still in business?
If not, why not?
There are many options. Yet the one that should be included if they send this survey out it 2012 is: Government Interference in Free Market Capitalism.
I am not sure how many of you may have also gotten this survey. If you did, I would love to know how you handled it.Tweet
Latest posts by EJ Moosa (see all)
- How Romney Could Secure My Vote and Win in 2012 - July 27, 2012
- Obama's Goose Is Cooked - April 18, 2012
- Why Job Growth Will be Turning Negative - April 10, 2012
- Saturday In The Park: Life Lessons I Learned From My Demeaning Below Minimum Wage Job - January 17, 2012
- Principled Versus Winning - November 4, 2011
- The Failure of the Republican Party - November 4, 2011
- The $1 Trillion Dollar Economic Injection - June 2, 2011
- Obama's Goose is Simmering - May 27, 2011
- Introducing Uncertainty - February 7, 2011
- Know Profits Know Growth Part II - January 25, 2011
- Profit: The Forgotten Objective - July 15, 2010
- It's Time to Separate Our Federal, State, and Local Governments - June 14, 2010
- Is Gov. Charlie Crist a “Good Conservative”? - March 29, 2010
- State of America - March 24, 2010
- Divide and Conquer - March 23, 2010
- How to Destroy the Private Sector via Health Care Reform - March 22, 2010
- Health Care Reform:The Road to Socialism - March 17, 2010
- Why Isn’t Health Care Reform Socialism? - March 7, 2010
- Economophobia:If This is What Ails Us, What is the Cure? - March 4, 2010
- No Profit, No Growth or Know Profit, Know Growth:The Choice is Yours - January 28, 2010
- US Government Spends 61% More than it Receives in 2010 - January 26, 2010
- Minimum Wage, Maximum Impact - November 3, 2009
- Is the US Medical Crisis a Tax Crisis Instead? - October 27, 2009
- A Libertarian’s No-Nonsense Health Care Reform Proposal - August 20, 2009
- American Health Care Reform:Un-Constitutional From the Start - August 8, 2009
- “Cash for Clunkers”: Success Redefined? - August 5, 2009
- Bashing the “Birthers” - August 4, 2009
- SOS: Senators on SpeedDial - August 3, 2009
- Economic Math in Today’s Economy - August 3, 2009
- When There is Nothing Left to Fight For, Who Will Defend Us? - July 29, 2009
- Invasion of Privacy Part II:2007 Survey of Business Owners and Self-Employed Persons - May 29, 2009
- Michael Steele and the Republican Party:Stuck in Denial - May 16, 2009
- When Will it Be Enough? - May 8, 2009
- Taxation Without Representation in the 21st Century - April 20, 2009
- Modern Day Sharecroppers - April 15, 2009
- Your Bank May Fail-But Let’s Keep That A Secret - April 10, 2009
- Right-Sizing the American Economy - April 1, 2009
- “Atlas Shrugged”:Why has Wikipedia Removed Key Elements? - March 30, 2009
- AIG-A Scape Goat of Massive Proportions - March 19, 2009
- I Want My Money Back - March 17, 2009
- Corporate Profit Growth Percentages Drive the Markets and Employment - March 11, 2009
- Panhandlers:Seize the Broom - March 10, 2009
- Help Wanted: Janitor, Pays $15-16 per Hour - March 8, 2009
- Invasion of Privacy :The American Community Survey - March 2, 2009
- General Motors and their Cash Flow Crisis - February 27, 2009
- Why Wall Street Really Matters - February 23, 2009
- Are our 14th Amendment Rights being violatedregarding the Second Amendmentby the States? - February 17, 2009
- Have We Forgotten the Minimum Wage? - February 13, 2009
- The Stimulus Plan We Should Have Gotten - February 12, 2009
- Misplaced Anger - September 12, 2008
- Will Ron Paul Accept or Reject Bob Barr ‘s Offer? - September 10, 2008
- Raising Taxes: The Real Objective - September 8, 2008
- Consider Me Offended - September 4, 2008
- Who’s Afraid of Sarah Palin (And Why) - September 3, 2008
- “My Bible is the State Constitution”-Sarah Palin - September 1, 2008
- The McCain Maneuver - August 29, 2008
- “I am My Brother’s Keeper” - August 28, 2008
- It Takes a Recession - August 28, 2008
- RC Cola and the Libertarian Party - August 19, 2008
- Congratulations, Harrold, Tx! Are you Listening, Atlanta, Ga? - August 15, 2008
- Principled-But atWhat Cost? - August 11, 2008
- The Death Tax We Do Need – Part II - August 8, 2008
- The Death Tax We Do Need - August 5, 2008
- Seniority Rules(and Why Our System Falters) - July 16, 2008
- The Magic Number - July 15, 2008
- The Right to Defend against the Common - March 19, 2008
- Winner Take All Primaries are Destroying The Election Process - March 13, 2008
- Big Brother Was Watching, Elliot - March 11, 2008
- “There is No Way to Make the Irrational Work” - March 10, 2008
- Republican Missteps to Hand White House to Clinton/ Obama - March 8, 2008
- TheTrouble with Inflation - February 21, 2008
- You’re Fired! - February 20, 2008
- The Next Step - February 19, 2008
- Just One Gun - February 15, 2008
- Just Say No-To the Incumbent - February 14, 2008
- Debate:The Lost Art - February 12, 2008
- The Disenfranchised Republican Voter - February 8, 2008
- McCain Vs. Paul - February 7, 2008
- Who is Rand Paul? - February 7, 2008
- Should Ron Paul Stay Just to Speak at the National Convention? - February 6, 2008
- The Republican Party: DOA - February 6, 2008
- Don’t Look - February 5, 2008
- The Tax Rebate Justification - January 25, 2008
- Tax Rebate? Try Welfare Check! - January 24, 2008
- Lil’ Hillary’s Cafe - January 23, 2008
- Weep for Washington D.C, Will We Be Next? - January 18, 2008
- The Politics of Change - January 17, 2008
- Is Fox Coaching the Focus Groups? - January 12, 2008
- One Voter at a Time, One Voter a Week - January 9, 2008
- It’s “We the People”, Stupid! - January 9, 2008
- The United States of Codependency - January 7, 2008
- Illegal Immigration: Victimless Crime? - January 6, 2008
- Winners and Losers - January 4, 2008
- Neal Boortz:Wrong on Ron Paul? - January 3, 2008
- Me Vs. You - January 2, 2008
- The Answer:Fairtax - January 2, 2008
- Who Are These People? - January 1, 2008
- Why Iowa Makes Perfect Sense - December 31, 2007
- Fox News Confirms: “No Need for Paul at Debates” - December 29, 2007
- Thank You Ron Paul - December 29, 2007
- Is Money A Good Substitute for Love? - December 25, 2007
- A Lack of Absolute Faith - December 24, 2007
- Speaking a Different Language - December 23, 2007
- The Wall Street Journalâ€™s Attempt to Diminish Ron Paulâ€™s Campaign - December 22, 2007
- Ron Paul Could Save America and So Could You - December 20, 2007
- Religion and the Constitution:The Real Battle We Face - December 19, 2007
- Is the Fair Tax(Mike Huckabee) Better than No Tax(Ron Paul)? - December 18, 2007
- It’s The Constitution, Stupid! - December 17, 2007
- Constitutional Contract With America - December 15, 2007
- Something Unconstitutional This Way Comes - December 15, 2007
- Let Them Hear the Silence - December 14, 2007
- Do We Deserve this Last Chance Ron Paul is Giving US? - December 13, 2007
- I Want My Rights Back and I Want Them Now - December 12, 2007