The People's Republic of China announced a rise in its official holdings from 600 metric tons to 1,054 tons, making the country the world's #5 holder of gold reserves. The 600 metric ton level had remained constant since 2003. While a rise of 454 tons sounds like a lot, at $900 USD per troy ounce, this is “only” $13 billion.
The United States has reported the largest reserves – over 8,100 tons, but GATA (the Gold Anti-Trust Committee) reports these holdings may not exist as they are strangely reported as “Deep Storage Gold.” Congressman Ron Paul's bill, HR 1207, the Federal Reserve Transparency Act, will audit the Federal Reserve, including our gold supply. This week over 20 more co-sponsors joined, bringing the bill to 88 co-sponsors.
From my experiences of having lived in Shanghai, China for the past 3-4 years and having read the IMF reporting rules, I have the following comments:
- China has a lot more gold than this doubling of their official reserves – for instance any state bank holdings are not reported to the IMF. One day the world will wake up and realize India and China possess a large amount of the gold in the world.
- The timing of this announcement is, of course, an eco-political power play. The gold price and the shrinking future spreads will be key to watch.
- From 2006 through mid-2008 you could buy gold in the bank shops, and at banks, but this was fairly difficult to do. In mid-2008, a massive propaganda campaign hit the major banks, with gold displays in bank lobbies and active advertisements.
- Asian populations have a deep cultural appreciation and respect for gold as money, unlike most Americans.
- China took over the title of world's largest gold mine producer from South Africa last year.
As the integrity of the US banking system is compromised, private citizens should consider becoming their own central banks. The days of irredeemable paper fiat currencies may be approaching its end, and there is a reason why the central banks hold gold – it is their default insurance.
Do not be fooled, the gold reserves of central banks are their actual Money. Debt-based paper dollars, yen, pounds are all just ridiculous currencies, sad shadowy mirrors of their former selves, which is gold and silver coin.
So, got gold?
Jake, the Champion of the Constitution
Other Related or Recent Articles by the Author
Ron Paul – The Gray Champion
“We may not wish the Gray Champion to come again – but come he must, and come he will.” – from The Fourth Turning
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
As always, unlike the NFL, the author grants full permission to allow any accounts of, rebroadcasts, retransmissions, repostings in part or full of this article to your blog or anywhere else in order to promote the Restoration of our Republic.
Veritas numquam perit. Veritas odit moras. Veritas vincit. Truth never perishes. Truth hates delay. Truth conquers.
Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito. Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
As a disclaimer of sorts, I am a supporter of owning physical gold, physical silver, www.gata.org and www.goldmoney.com. Any investment or financial views expressed in the article are mine and mine alone, so make your own financial decisions by educating yourself. All I am doing is sharing my views to help you decide, even if its just to become aware that you do have a decision to make. These articles reflect the my opinion and are by no means a guarantee of future economic conditions. My articles are provided for INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY and are actually NOT MEANT to provide investment advice to anyone.
Latest posts by Jake Towne, the Champion of the Constitution (see all)
- Ron Paul Wins 5 Delegates in Pennsylvania; Romney Officially Has Zero - April 26, 2012
- Ron Paul Delegate Wins in Pennsylvania's 17th District - April 25, 2012
- Ron Paul All Set to Win Iowa and Minnesota - April 24, 2012