I received a letter telling me that soon I would be receiving the American Community Survey, and that I was required to complete it and send it back. I was told that this information was crucial to the planning of my community for such important infrastructure items as fire stations, libraries, and schools.
The following week I received the 28 page booklet asking me for information that I would not share with 99.9% of the people I know. According to the US Constitution, a census is authorized once every ten years. If you complain to the Census Bureau, they point to Congress for authorizing the American Community Census. My contention is that this is unconstitutional. I reviewed my copy of the Constitution and saw no amendments that altered the frequency of the Census. If I have overlooked it, please point this out to me.
Second, the Fourth Amendment guarantees my right to be secure .
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
To gather all of the information below, they would have to invade my home, and search my documents for this data. I contend the information requested is my property and the US Government has no valid claim upon it.
My answers to this survey are not private forever, as in 72 years they are released to the public. None of the questions beyond how many people live at my address would seem to apply to fire stations, libraries, or schools, and so, I must confess I will not be answering them.
According to the Washington Post, over 1,100 laptops have been reported missing from the Commerce Department since 2001 including over 250 from the Census Bureau.
Do I really want the answers to the questions below floating around on a laptop that is misplaced or stolen?
Searching the internet, I have discovered I may be in for some harassment as Big Brother attempts to force me to complete this form. I have read reports of Census workers harassing individuals in an attempt to get them to complete the survey. For some interesting stories check out this link.
You will read some interesting stories about what will be done to collect the data.
Since this is not the year 2010 (truth be known I would answer this survey the same way if it was 2010), I feel in no way compelled to share with the government the answers to the following questions about my life the Federal Government wants to know:
Phone Number including Area Code
Age and Birth Date
If I am of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin
What type of house I live in
When my house was built(year)
When I moved into this house(year)
How large is the lot?
Is there a business on this location?
How many separate rooms are in this house, apartment, or mobile home?
How many of these rooms are bedrooms?
Do I have
Hot and Cold Running Water?
Bathtub or shower?
Sink with a faucet?
Stove or Range?
How many vehicles of 1 ton or less are kept at this address?
What fuel is used to heat this house, apartment, or mobile home?
What was the cost of electricity last month?
What was the cost of gas last month?
What was the cost of water and sewer for the past twelve months?
Did I receive Food Stamps?
Is my house, apartment or mobile home part of a condominium, and if yes, what are the fees?
Do I own the house with a mortgage?
Do I own this house free and clear?
Do I rent?
Do I occupy without rent?
What is the monthly rent for this house, apartment, or mobile home?
How much do I think this house, apartment, or mobile home would sell for?
What are the annual property taxes?
What is the annual property and flood insurance?
How much is the regular monthly mortgage?
Does that include the property taxes?
Does that include the insurance?
Do I have a second mortgage on this property?
How much are the monthly payments on all second and junior mortgages?
Where I was born?
Am I a citizen?
Have I attended college or school in the last three months?
What is my highest degree or level of school completed?
If I have a bachelor's degree, what is it in?
What is my ancestry or ethnic origin?
Do I speak any other languages besides English at home?
How well do I speak English?
Did I live here 1 year ago?
Do I have health insurance?
Do I have difficulty hearing or am I blind?
Do I have difficulty doing physical, mental, or emotional conditions that make it difficult for me to do errands alone, such as shopping or visiting a doctor's office?
Am I married?
Did I get married, widowed, or divorced in the last twelve months?
How many times have I been married?
What year did I last get married?
Am I a grandparent responsible for a grandchild living here?
How long have I been responsible for the grandchildren?
Have I ever served on active duty?
If so, when?
Do I have a VA service-connected Disability rating?
What is that rating?
Did I work for pay last week at a business?
Last week did I do any work for pay?
At what location did I do this work?
What is the address?
How did I get to work last week?
How many people rode with me to work?
When did I leave my house to go to work?
How many minutes does it usually take?
Who was my most recent job with? Name and location
What kind of work do I do?
What are my most important activities or duties?
What are my wages for the last twelve months?
What is my self-employment income for the last twelve months?
What are my interest and dividends(even small amounts)?
What are my social security or Railroad retirement amounts?
What are my Supplemental Social Security Income amounts?
Did I receive any public assistance or welfare payments from state or local welfare offices?
If so, how much?
What was my total income in the last twelve months?
(To my shock, there is no question about capital gains)
As I said, I cannot imagine giving anyone I know the answers to all of these questions, and I will not be doing so now.
All I will say is that one person lives here. If that affects the fire stations, libraries, and schools in a negative way, so be it. But the rest of the information is personal.
How far are we willing to go to let the government into our lives? Is there no limit to what they can sk of us? Or does it fall upon us to not only say “NO”, but “HELL NO!!!”
I understand there is a $100 fine for not completing the form, and a $500 fine for giving false information. Perhaps this could be a new source of revenue for the government: keep your privacy for a $100 fee.
The Federal Government is supposed to do an accurate headcount every ten years to allocate Representatives for Congress. They are not supposed to dive into my private life regardless of what they believe.
From the questions they are asking, I can conclude that they are trying to determine how much more “wealth” they can remove from me so that we can “share prosperity” in the future. To provide this Federal Government with this information can only be asking for trouble in the future.
Did you happen to receive the American Community Survey? If so, what did you do? I would love to read your story.Tweet
Latest posts by EJ Moosa (see all)
- How Romney Could Secure My Vote and Win in 2012 - July 27, 2012
- Obama's Goose Is Cooked - April 18, 2012
- Why Job Growth Will be Turning Negative - April 10, 2012
- Saturday In The Park: Life Lessons I Learned From My Demeaning Below Minimum Wage Job - January 17, 2012
- Principled Versus Winning - November 4, 2011
- The Failure of the Republican Party - November 4, 2011
- The $1 Trillion Dollar Economic Injection - June 2, 2011
- Obama's Goose is Simmering - May 27, 2011
- Introducing Uncertainty - February 7, 2011
- Know Profits Know Growth Part II - January 25, 2011
- Profit: The Forgotten Objective - July 15, 2010
- It's Time to Separate Our Federal, State, and Local Governments - June 14, 2010
- Is Gov. Charlie Crist a “Good Conservative”? - March 29, 2010
- State of America - March 24, 2010
- Divide and Conquer - March 23, 2010
- How to Destroy the Private Sector via Health Care Reform - March 22, 2010
- Health Care Reform:The Road to Socialism - March 17, 2010
- Why Isn’t Health Care Reform Socialism? - March 7, 2010
- Economophobia:If This is What Ails Us, What is the Cure? - March 4, 2010
- No Profit, No Growth or Know Profit, Know Growth:The Choice is Yours - January 28, 2010
- US Government Spends 61% More than it Receives in 2010 - January 26, 2010
- Minimum Wage, Maximum Impact - November 3, 2009
- Is the US Medical Crisis a Tax Crisis Instead? - October 27, 2009
- A Libertarian’s No-Nonsense Health Care Reform Proposal - August 20, 2009
- American Health Care Reform:Un-Constitutional From the Start - August 8, 2009
- “Cash for Clunkers”: Success Redefined? - August 5, 2009
- Bashing the “Birthers” - August 4, 2009
- SOS: Senators on SpeedDial - August 3, 2009
- Economic Math in Today’s Economy - August 3, 2009
- When There is Nothing Left to Fight For, Who Will Defend Us? - July 29, 2009
- Invasion of Privacy Part II:2007 Survey of Business Owners and Self-Employed Persons - May 29, 2009
- Michael Steele and the Republican Party:Stuck in Denial - May 16, 2009
- When Will it Be Enough? - May 8, 2009
- Taxation Without Representation in the 21st Century - April 20, 2009
- Modern Day Sharecroppers - April 15, 2009
- Your Bank May Fail-But Let’s Keep That A Secret - April 10, 2009
- Right-Sizing the American Economy - April 1, 2009
- “Atlas Shrugged”:Why has Wikipedia Removed Key Elements? - March 30, 2009
- AIG-A Scape Goat of Massive Proportions - March 19, 2009
- I Want My Money Back - March 17, 2009
- Corporate Profit Growth Percentages Drive the Markets and Employment - March 11, 2009
- Panhandlers:Seize the Broom - March 10, 2009
- Help Wanted: Janitor, Pays $15-16 per Hour - March 8, 2009
- Invasion of Privacy :The American Community Survey - March 2, 2009
- General Motors and their Cash Flow Crisis - February 27, 2009
- Why Wall Street Really Matters - February 23, 2009
- Are our 14th Amendment Rights being violatedregarding the Second Amendmentby the States? - February 17, 2009
- Have We Forgotten the Minimum Wage? - February 13, 2009
- The Stimulus Plan We Should Have Gotten - February 12, 2009
- Misplaced Anger - September 12, 2008
- Will Ron Paul Accept or Reject Bob Barr ‘s Offer? - September 10, 2008
- Raising Taxes: The Real Objective - September 8, 2008
- Consider Me Offended - September 4, 2008
- Who’s Afraid of Sarah Palin (And Why) - September 3, 2008
- “My Bible is the State Constitution”-Sarah Palin - September 1, 2008
- The McCain Maneuver - August 29, 2008
- “I am My Brother’s Keeper” - August 28, 2008
- It Takes a Recession - August 28, 2008
- RC Cola and the Libertarian Party - August 19, 2008
- Congratulations, Harrold, Tx! Are you Listening, Atlanta, Ga? - August 15, 2008
- Principled-But atWhat Cost? - August 11, 2008
- The Death Tax We Do Need – Part II - August 8, 2008
- The Death Tax We Do Need - August 5, 2008
- Seniority Rules(and Why Our System Falters) - July 16, 2008
- The Magic Number - July 15, 2008
- The Right to Defend against the Common - March 19, 2008
- Winner Take All Primaries are Destroying The Election Process - March 13, 2008
- Big Brother Was Watching, Elliot - March 11, 2008
- “There is No Way to Make the Irrational Work” - March 10, 2008
- Republican Missteps to Hand White House to Clinton/ Obama - March 8, 2008
- TheTrouble with Inflation - February 21, 2008
- You’re Fired! - February 20, 2008
- The Next Step - February 19, 2008
- Just One Gun - February 15, 2008
- Just Say No-To the Incumbent - February 14, 2008
- Debate:The Lost Art - February 12, 2008
- The Disenfranchised Republican Voter - February 8, 2008
- McCain Vs. Paul - February 7, 2008
- Who is Rand Paul? - February 7, 2008
- Should Ron Paul Stay Just to Speak at the National Convention? - February 6, 2008
- The Republican Party: DOA - February 6, 2008
- Don’t Look - February 5, 2008
- The Tax Rebate Justification - January 25, 2008
- Tax Rebate? Try Welfare Check! - January 24, 2008
- Lil’ Hillary’s Cafe - January 23, 2008
- Weep for Washington D.C, Will We Be Next? - January 18, 2008
- The Politics of Change - January 17, 2008
- Is Fox Coaching the Focus Groups? - January 12, 2008
- One Voter at a Time, One Voter a Week - January 9, 2008
- It’s “We the People”, Stupid! - January 9, 2008
- The United States of Codependency - January 7, 2008
- Illegal Immigration: Victimless Crime? - January 6, 2008
- Winners and Losers - January 4, 2008
- Neal Boortz:Wrong on Ron Paul? - January 3, 2008
- Me Vs. You - January 2, 2008
- The Answer:Fairtax - January 2, 2008
- Who Are These People? - January 1, 2008
- Why Iowa Makes Perfect Sense - December 31, 2007
- Fox News Confirms: “No Need for Paul at Debates” - December 29, 2007
- Thank You Ron Paul - December 29, 2007
- Is Money A Good Substitute for Love? - December 25, 2007
- A Lack of Absolute Faith - December 24, 2007
- Speaking a Different Language - December 23, 2007
- The Wall Street Journalâ€™s Attempt to Diminish Ron Paulâ€™s Campaign - December 22, 2007
- Ron Paul Could Save America and So Could You - December 20, 2007
- Religion and the Constitution:The Real Battle We Face - December 19, 2007
- Is the Fair Tax(Mike Huckabee) Better than No Tax(Ron Paul)? - December 18, 2007
- It’s The Constitution, Stupid! - December 17, 2007
- Constitutional Contract With America - December 15, 2007
- Something Unconstitutional This Way Comes - December 15, 2007
- Let Them Hear the Silence - December 14, 2007
- Do We Deserve this Last Chance Ron Paul is Giving US? - December 13, 2007
- I Want My Rights Back and I Want Them Now - December 12, 2007