Could you even imagine an airship originating from another world – autonomous, or maybe flown or guided by an alien creature? Even our Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), commonly called drones, you probably haven’t seen, unless you live in Pakistan, Somalia, or Yemen — not a welcome sight, I’m sure. Even if seen, our – and by “our” I mean Earthling — drones are a little different in that their technology doesn’t set them apart from the known.
But if we’ve seen an otherworldly craft, it sets us on a path of disbelief immediately. Why? Because the phenomena of its appearance and its performance put it in a separate realm. All our experiences point to noisy craft in our skies, mostly with jet engines and some with propellers. An unidentified flying object (UFO) is unidentifiable because it is noiseless. It hovers, drifts, zips, zigzags, radically turns, or disappears in a flash of speed or stealth – a scenario not in our conventional realm of experience.
Popular media sources tend to discourage giving credence to such sightings. Government obfuscates. Neighbors poke fun. Family gets embarrassed. Consequently, we go along!
Social circumstances debunk the unconventional. You are ostracized. Your children are mocked and bullied. Let’s face it. We are social creatures who depend on others for our livelihood and our needs. We don’t tend to defy convention. We might speak maverick but we are herds. For example, after 9/11 most of us suspended independent thought and followed our fellow citizens, our media, and our country to fight an unjustified war.
Let’s face it. If you quietly concede that tens of thousands of sane people, including astronauts, pilots, police, and presidents, have actually seen UFOs – let’s just limit it to alien craft and not ET — exercise your logic a little more. Unless you believe there are hidden alien bases on Earth or somewhere out in space in our own solar system, ask yourself where they (by “they” I mean craft, occupied or not) came from and how they got here.
Now would you not concede – since we’ve gotten this far – that such visitors would have to travel many light years (one light year is six trillion miles), the trip taking years at light-speed. Our science and scientists say that we can’t travel beyond the speed of light. If we believe this, then this rule applies to others with much further advanced science and technology. Therefore a round trip from, let’s say Gliese 581G, some 20 light years away, would take over 50 years, assuming they could travel around .8 the speed of light.
When such aliens get here, do they hang around Earth and our solar system for a few years before they return to children who now look more like parents after aging 50 years while they age five, for example? If they experience our technology, are they weightless for 40 years, body deteriorated beyond repair?
I would say no to all of these questions. That is the point. Anyone who can travel light years to investigate our civilization will have a technology our science fiction writers can only speculate about, not even totally imagine. For all of us, pertinent questions will arise. Can they render their crafts massless? Can they break our speed limit of light-speed? Can they create gravity on their space ships? Can they render their spacecrafts invisible — even themselves? Can they contract space (warp space)?
We are slowly emerging out of the cloud of superstition and ignorance that our forbears experienced. We are beginning to understand – perhaps not visualize – that the context of a truly advanced world is beyond our own context. Our religions create fantasies that fill in the details of a realm our feeble minds cannot imagine in order to explain the unknown.
Rather than embrace and try to understand the unknown, do we scoff at it and scorn those who give it credence.
Is that where we are in our advanced civilization?Tweet
Latest posts by ocjim (see all)
- Pledge Allegiance to What? - September 17, 2014
- Asteroid Threat - September 11, 2014
- America: What Ferguson tells us (poem) - September 4, 2014
- US Radicalism Compared - September 1, 2014
- ISIL: A Real Threat - August 23, 2014
- Killing the Unarmed - August 15, 2014
- Impeach and Impede - August 13, 2014
- Is Putin Mimicking Us? - July 31, 2014
- Accurate News or Speculation? - July 21, 2014
- Child Invasion: Disease, Crime & Mayhem? - July 17, 2014
- GOP Death Panels in States It Controls - July 17, 2014
- More Shutdowns: Highway Trust Fund? - July 10, 2014
- Best Agents of Oligarchs - July 3, 2014
- GOP: when not in control, demean and obstruct. - June 23, 2014
- The Education Cure: Bogus & Sinking Us More? - June 17, 2014
- Worst and Best of Times - June 13, 2014
- Fracking: New Finds - June 3, 2014
- America: a bunker culture - May 28, 2014
- Do-Nothing Coverup with Benghai? - May 13, 2014
- GOP (Tea Party) Death Panels? - May 7, 2014
- GOP Chant: Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi! - May 4, 2014
- Time Magazine Top 100 - May 2, 2014
- Reactions to Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. - April 23, 2014
- Corporate Takers! - April 22, 2014
- Rich Whiners on Welfare - April 18, 2014
- This Koch’s not for you! - April 15, 2014
- Five in Robes - April 10, 2014
- Chris Christie: User and Exploiter? - April 7, 2014
- The Ukraine and Putin - April 6, 2014
- Democracy Sinking! - April 3, 2014
- Christie: Remorse Done; Bully Back - March 31, 2014
- Chris Christie: Costing Taxpayers? - March 27, 2014
- MH370: The Story Told. - March 22, 2014
- Corporate Power Going Wild - March 17, 2014
- Putin/conservatives: the tyranny of deception? - March 10, 2014
- Conservative Agenda talks Energy-Ukraine - March 6, 2014
- Privatized Elections Overrule Democracy - March 4, 2014
- Not in my Frack Yard! - March 1, 2014
- O’Reilly’s Lovefest - February 18, 2014
- Americans for Progress: Control and Misinformation? - February 7, 2014
- Christie Slush Fund? - February 6, 2014
- ALEC, a Republic whose Vote Is Money? - January 23, 2014
- Middle East Peace, not War - January 16, 2014
- “Bridgegate” is Global - January 14, 2014
- Scam/Hoax: Climate Change or Right-Wing Thinking - January 4, 2014
- Unfettered: Capitalism, Limbaugh, or Both? - December 25, 2013
- Polarized Americans - December 11, 2013
- Unemployment, Low Wages, and More Ponzi Schemes? - December 4, 2013
- The Grand Old Tea Party - November 19, 2013
- Weasel News and Weasel Words - November 12, 2013
- Chris Christie: A New Bush Mold - November 9, 2013
- Do you want to boost our economy? - November 7, 2013
- Health Insurance Deceit - November 5, 2013
- GOP As Traitors? - October 29, 2013
- Democracy on its Back - October 27, 2013
- GOP Serial Liars - October 23, 2013
- Subterfuge: Small is Big; Big Starts Small. - October 16, 2013
- Rewards for the Misanthropes? - October 11, 2013
- Feel Manipulated? You should. - October 7, 2013
- Plan vs Crazy, Ambitious & Bemoehner - October 7, 2013
- Vote Out the Tea Party Caucus - October 3, 2013
- Cruz on a Wrecking Ball? - September 30, 2013
- Shutdown Looms — and Worse. - September 28, 2013
- Cruz over Americans - September 25, 2013
- The Dogs of a Budget War - September 18, 2013
- Cruz, A Contender in 2016? - September 13, 2013
- Cool It, Barack! - September 10, 2013
- Tea Party — A scam by Plutocrats? - September 8, 2013
- Getting Fracked II - September 4, 2013
- Are UFOs Real? - September 3, 2013
- GOP Scorched Earth Policy: Kill Obamacare - September 3, 2013